Zoom Calendar Notifications Issue

Jump to solution
morgan_j
Community Participant

We recently installed the Zoom Pro LTI on our Canvas production system.  

We have received some emails from faculty asking about a way to turn off the email notifications currently going to students before the beginning of the semester from Zoom events populating the Canvas Calendar.  Normally these items on the calendar do not send email notifications until the course begins.

I have reviewed the Zoom Developer Key settings and am not sure which option to disable, or if I even should disable any of the options?  Is this where we can remove calendar notification from zoom?

Thanks!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello everyone!  ( @morgan_j , @emily_smith2 , @kkeller03 , @Awalk , and @tdionne )...

As a Canvas administrator at our Technical College, I've had a bit of experience setting up the Zoom Pro LTI in our school's Canvas environment.  It sounds like you also have your Zoom integration set up within Canvas so that when Zoom meetings are set up via the LTI, those meetings are also then added to the instructor and student Calendars in Canvas.  To my knowledge, this is actually a setting that needs to be configured by the person at your school who set up and maintains the Zoom account/configuration at your school.  There is a screen of additional configuration options that this Zoom admin would have access to that is not a part of their Zoom admin screens when signing in to their account via Zoom.us.  Your Canvas/Zoom administrator would need to:

1. Navigate to: App Marketplace - Zoom LTI Pro
  2. Sign in to the site via the "Sign In" link at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Once logged in, click on the "Manage" tab.
  4. Next to "Configuration", click on the "Configure" button.
  5. The Canvas/Zoom admin will be taken to a screen that shows the version number, the LTI Key, and Owner.  Click on the "Edit" button.
  6. On the next screen, there will be several options...many of which are toggle switches to turn on/off.  Scroll about half-way down on this page: LTI Pro for Canvas - LMS Guides - LTI Pro to the section on "Canvas Calendar and Conversations".  This is the information that is needed to set up Zoom to automatically post new meetings to the Canvas Calendar and to also automatically send out notifications via the Canvas Inbox to students in the course.

Keep in mind that the Calendar and Conversations settings described here are for the entire Canvas account.  To my knowledge, they cannot be turned on/off per course.  It's all or nothing.  So, if some people liked having this feature at your school and you turned it off, it would be off for everyone...so you'd want to consider that in any decisions that were made.

I hope this will be of some help to everyone.  Please let Community members know if there are any other questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post