cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

a student CHECKLIST??? for tasks completed in a module

A few years ago, I completed a free online course on Corpus Linguistics through a university in the U.K. The course was excellent, and taking that course as a student -- not just perusing one module or one assignment as our professor training at my university required -- really made me aware of many aspects of online teaching/learning.

One of the best features of that course was that every module had a sort of "timeline" or "checklist" arrow at the very beginning of the module.  If it was Module 3 and it had 6 tasks (3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e, 3f), then imagine a long line with an arrow head on both ends, but this timeline was divided into 6 rectangles labeled with the tasks 3a, 3b, etc.

As I completed each task, the corresponding part of the timeline was colored in.  Thus, if 3a was an opening intro to the module that maybe required me to choose A, B, C, or D for the best summary of the module intro, then when I had clicked the answer (regardless of whether it was right or wrong, just COMPLETED), then 3a would color in with dark blue, for example.

So if I closed out the course and then came back in an hour later, it was SUPER CLEAR where I should start:  3b -- because all the other areas had been filled in (3a in this case).

Does ANYONE know how to do this in Canvas????

Thanks!

Keith / Florida

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Keith, we are going to do this with the classes we are making for our county.  We are making pictures of various links and adding them to each page.  Canvas itself, does not do this.  Not to my knowledge, anyway.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for this feedback.

I really liked having this great visual on the screen. Any time you left a module, whenever you came back it was INSTANTLY clear where you were and how much you had done --- AND how much more you had to do yet.

I"m not sure if this is helpful now, but the course was through Lancaster University. Here is their link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/free-courses/corpus-linguistics-method-analysis-interpretation/

Corpus Linguistics: Method, Analysis, Interpretation | Lancaster University<https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/free-courses/corpus-linguistics-method-analysis-interpretation/>

www.lancaster.ac.uk

This free course from Lancaster University offers a practical introduction to the methodology of corpus linguistics for researchers in social sciences and humanities.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Folse, Ph.D.

Professor, TESOL

English Language Training Programs that UCF offers:

1. MA in TESOL

2. Graduate Certificate in TEFL

3. Undergraduate Certificate in TEFL

(https://www.facebook.com/Undergraduate-TEFL-Certificate-at-UCF-263007397052557/)

4. Ph.D. in TESOL (COE)

Highlighted
Community Member

I also found the HTML code for it, but Canvas doesn't keep it.  When I hit save, the code is gone.  It could be because the code I find seems to need to go back to a data form. I'm not sure how to do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yet ANOTHER feature (like being able to check on user activity by item) that Canvas doesn't offer. A friend showed me the interactive checklist that Blackboard offers, so students can make sure they've completed all the necessary tasks for that unit.

I have so many small, varying assignments. It would be extremely helpful if at the bottom of each module, I could provide an interactive checklist (within Canvas -- not a separate document or link) for students to ensure they've completed each activity or requirement.

It seems as though actual faculty members weren't even part of any design conversations at Canvas. This feature should be an automatic no-brainer, as should being able to click on a specific item to see who accessed it and when (which was a feature of Angel more than a decade ago ... so why is Canvas having such a hard time providing it)?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, keith.folse@ucf.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since March 11, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to read all the replies that you've received thus far?  If so, did any of them help to answer your question?  Are you still looking for help with this question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help with this, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.

Have you considered using requirements for your Modules?  That way, students can check things off as they complete them in the course: How do I mark a module item as done for a module requirement? 

Also, I have been evaluating the DesignPLUS product from CIDI Labs.  DesignPLUS integrates nicely with Canvas.  The Design Tools interface includes a few different "progress bars" that you can display on a course page...similar to what you are describing above.  But, this isn't the only feature of DesignPLUS ... there's so much more.

Since there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since the middle of March, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Keith.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Labels