cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

adding users to sub-account groups

Jump to solution

I am looking into creating sub-account groups for my district but I am struggling to see a feature where the group leader can enroll other users in the group.  For example, I created a school group and then within that, I created a JV Football group and assigned one of my teachers as the leader.  I, as an admin, see the ability to add additional users to this group but when my teacher leader of the group pulls it up, he doesn't have that option.  Just wondering if there is a way to allow the leader of a group in a sub account add users. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Krista,

Kona let me know about your question here. Our admin guide about groups isn't as robust as the instructor guide (though we would like to improve that in the future). I've added a note to the top of each lesson that mentions groups can only be created and modified by admins or sub-account admins. These changes will be published to the lessons as part of our April 2 release.

If you feel that group leaders should be able to manage groups, you may want to add your thoughts to the comments in this feature idea . The group leader idea is relatively new, and sometimes our product team just needs to see how people are using it so they can consider modifications.

Thanks!

erin

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello krista.heidenreich@lakotaonline.com​...

I noticed that your question has been sitting here for over a month without a response.  Unfortunately, I am not sure of an answer for you.  Have you been able to find a solution for your question yet?  If so, could you post your solution?  Or, please update us on if you are still looking for help from the Canvas Community on this.  Thanks.

Highlighted

The response from our customer service manager was also that only the sub-account admins can add people to groups. Thanks for your response.

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back and confirming this! I've reached out to the Canvas documentation team to see if that information can be clarified a bit more in the Canvas guides.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

krista.heidenreich@lakotaonline.com​, I did a little testing with one of my sub-accounts and it looks like only sub-account admins can add people/students to sub-account groups. I also reviewed the guides for groups in sub-accounts and without specifically stating it, the same thing was implied there as well - How do I view groups in an account? & How do I create groups in an account? (see the very bottom of both of these guides where they talk about how to add users to a group).

Highlighted
Community Member

I will confirm that Kona's answer is correct.  As an alternative, we have an all student course in Canvas called Student Help and Resources were we use the course groups to create faculty advisor groups, student clubs, access student peer mentors, etc. It is a bit of a pain to manually add every student into the course when they enter the college plus remove them when they graduate or drop, but we think it has been worth it for managing these types of groups.  In the case of clubs etc., it is nice in that we have students who can maintain the lists themselves. 

Highlighted

Just to clarify, while Cindy is managing these things manually, it does not have to be done manually.

It is a bit of a pain to manually add every student into the course when they enter the college plus remove them when they graduate or drop, but we think it has been worth it for managing these types of groups.

We've got it programmed so all of our students are automatically added to our Student Resource course by semester (each semester is a different course section, so older course sections get closed at the end of the semester). So for us it isn't a pain at all, yet, if we were doing it manually I agree that it wouldn't be pleasant!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Krista,

Kona let me know about your question here. Our admin guide about groups isn't as robust as the instructor guide (though we would like to improve that in the future). I've added a note to the top of each lesson that mentions groups can only be created and modified by admins or sub-account admins. These changes will be published to the lessons as part of our April 2 release.

If you feel that group leaders should be able to manage groups, you may want to add your thoughts to the comments in this feature idea . The group leader idea is relatively new, and sometimes our product team just needs to see how people are using it so they can consider modifications.

Thanks!

erin

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels