cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

assigning points in weighted grades

Jump to solution

I may be missing a piece of math here...

I set up my gradebook to be weighted. Quizzes are 30%, Research project is 40%, Jeopardy questions are 20%, Jeopardy game is 5% and museum visit is 5%. That all adds up to 100%. So far so good.

Some things, like quizzes, will be graded on 100 pts each. Other things, elements of the research project for instance, will be graded on 50 pts each. Each Jeopardy question is graded on 10 points.

Does this matter in the final weighting? Or is there some magic algorithm that adjusts everything category average to a scale of 100 and then weights things for the final number?

Appreciate any clarification. Cheers folks.  Ellen

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Ellen,

You are not missing a thing. It sounds like you have setup your 'weighted assignment groups' correctly according to your intended value/importance of the various components. Using weighted grading for your different assignment groups allows for exactly what you intended and have setup...

• If all assignments were evaluated solely on their point values (points = points), then individual assignments with high point value would automatically tend to have a greater impact on the final grade, providing there was a fairly equal distribution of low point and high point assignments.
  • If there were a small number of high point assignments, and a large number of low point assignments, then the high point assignments would loose some of there impact on the final grade, because ALL 'points' have the same weight/impact on the total final grade.
  • Using 'weighted grades', you can place all assignments that you want to have the same percentage impact on the final grade (regardless of point value) into an the same assignment group. This way, you put the intended importance on the assignments that you want, according to their importance as determined by you, the instructor.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Ellen,

You are not missing a thing. It sounds like you have setup your 'weighted assignment groups' correctly according to your intended value/importance of the various components. Using weighted grading for your different assignment groups allows for exactly what you intended and have setup...

• If all assignments were evaluated solely on their point values (points = points), then individual assignments with high point value would automatically tend to have a greater impact on the final grade, providing there was a fairly equal distribution of low point and high point assignments.
  • If there were a small number of high point assignments, and a large number of low point assignments, then the high point assignments would loose some of there impact on the final grade, because ALL 'points' have the same weight/impact on the total final grade.
  • Using 'weighted grades', you can place all assignments that you want to have the same percentage impact on the final grade (regardless of point value) into an the same assignment group. This way, you put the intended importance on the assignments that you want, according to their importance as determined by you, the instructor.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks @Earl! That is very reassuring and enlightening. I was pretty sure that would be the case, but I just wasn't sure and suddenly had a horrific image of arriving at the end of the semester and my grade book imploding. Or maybe exploding. While I am a terrible technophobe and struggle with learning platforms (Canvas is my third; first we had Blackboard and then we were switched to Moodle), I find the gradebook and weighted grades a huge convenience, particularly of course when dashing to get final grades in. I am also using rubrics for the first time. Who knows. I may look like a teacher functioning in the 21st century one day!

Best, Ellen

Labels