cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

authentication endpoint

How do we get the authentication endpoint to launch a third party tool?

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello lsurid1981@einrot.com Thank You for posting your question.  I am not sure of an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the link that I have provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  Also, next to that button you'll find a button called "Actions".  Click that button, and then select "Join group".  I hope this will be of help to you.  Good luck!

Highlighted

Thank you, Chris!

Highlighted
Learner II

Can you explain a bit more about what you need?

Is this an LTI launch? 

Or are you wanting to verify the user using OAuth2, but not have API access?  For this you can use scope=/auth/userinfo

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We are looking to launch our new v1.3 tool from Canvas, as we recently received the good news that Canvas is v1.3 LTI Advantage certified!  We know that in order to perform the complete launch, we'll need to complete what the LTI spec refers to as an "out of band" registration process, in which certain pieces of information are exchanged.  As a tool, we would need the public key of our Canvas installation, and the OIDC authentication endpoint of our Canvas installation (as is a part of the LTI-mandated OIDC third party initiated login process).  Do you know where we can find those two pieces of information?  

Highlighted

Its only on Beta at the moment.  You need to turn it on under Settings - Feature Options and then under Developer Keys : + Developer Key there is an LTI screen.

See: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/28177-lti-13-lti-advantage-documentation#comment-136123 

Highlighted

Thanks, Peter.  We have taken those steps but did not see a place where Canvas' authentication endpoint nor public key could be found.  Can you please advise? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We don't have any documentation yet.

Might be better to ask in the  https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/28177-lti-13-lti-advantage-documentation thread as lfeng@unicon.net‌ says they have been able to test 1.3 tools.

It might be that we won't get all the information until IMS make the specification public.

Highlighted

Thanks, Peter.  Our question is Canvas-specific, though, so I'm unsure if moving to that thread would be relevant.  Perhaps we must just wait for Canvas to be ready with the info we need? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

lsurid1981@einrot.com,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels