Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Using the media caption option to record comments for student submissions. How can I add a video with captions? I tried adding a link to a Studio recording, but the links are not clickable. The student would need to copy and paste into another browse...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-18-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies

not sure if this question or discussion already exists but...When students make a comment on an assignment submission - especially AFTER the assignment has been seen and graded by the instructor - is there any way to KNOW such later comment has been ...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-31-2023 View Solution
  • 13 Likes
  • 23 Replies

The "Expand/Collapse Group" button is not working for me once a quiz is saved (it works fine during quiz creation).  Is this a a feature or a bug?  If it is a bug, is there a mechanism to submit a bug report?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-16-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

What does this "hidden" mean?  I have never come across it before and today as I was grading an assignment I have seen it on two assignments.  I'm puzzled is because I've never seen it before, I don't know what it means, and it showed up for someone ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-15-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

My Grades page just started delaying grades being posted.  I now have the "eye with a line through it" icon meaning students can not see their grades to the last two assignments for the semester.  I did not change any settings.  Not sure why this is ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-16-2019 View Solution
  • 11 Likes
  • 35 Replies

I keep "closing" this Module list, but it defaults back to "open" when I navigate away and come back to Modules.  Is there a way to get it to "stay closed" until I click to open it again? I don't want to lock it. I just want to get it out of my way o...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-15-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hello, I thought this sight was something else. I didn't realize it until I had filled out the information.  How do I cancel my registration?Melissa

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-29-2021 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I have created course and want to create one assignment in that course. when I click on create assignment button it will showing me above page but I am not able to upload files to that particular assignment because "files" tab is showing disabled and...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-09-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 Replies

In the document on course copy/import (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12935-415257077 ) it says "You only have access to copy content from courses from current or previous courses in which you are an enrolled user."  It doesn't mention the ...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-04-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Our institution is switching from Moodle to Canvas.  In Moodle, it was easy to make assignments that were comprised of multiple parts.  For example, a midterm or final exam could have two or three parts, where one essay could be submitted to part 1, ...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I'm working with a faculty member who had students divided into two sides, with multiple groups per side, who then wants a group from each side to meet up and discuss (so Team A does a thing, then Team B does their thing, and then at the end they get...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-02-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 Replies

My students turn in homework via the discussion board. If they don't meet the requirements, they are allowed to resubmit. I used to get notifications (in my to do list) when students resubmitted to discussions- but I don't any more. I don't want to g...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 12-09-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I'm creating a theme for Canvas using a customized CSS file. My idea is to create a kind of layout/template that will use an image hosted inside the files folder of each course - I want to use a "background.png" file, and each course would have a dif...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-28-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is there a way to move past course cards off your dashboard so that only your current classes are viewed? Maybe there is an archive class option? Thanks! 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-26-2019 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I have a Microsoft Word document that has a list of questions.  I want to bring those questions into Canvas.  How do I convert the Microsoft Word document to be acceptable to load into Canvas.  I do understand that I probably will have to use Respond...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-23-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Is there a way to search for certain topics inside the content of a Canvas course?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-20-2019 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 Replies

My time is valuable, as is, I am sure, all of yours. So, why must I spend hours managing my Canvas e-mail at the end of every semester? Why must I check and scroll and check and scroll just to move last semester's messages to an archive? Surely Canva...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-16-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 11 Replies

I'd like to create bullet paragraphs (or bold or italicize or tab, etc.) when adding a comment on an assignment in SpeedGrader.  I don't see any menu of formatting options and wonder whether any keyboard shortcuts for formatting exist.

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-07-2022 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 12 Replies

When I update a question in a question bank, why does it not update that question in my existing quizzes? Is there a work around to make this happen.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-14-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I'm updating a very old Canvas course that provides help to faculty with Canvas. When I add links to Canvas guide pages, the Rich Content Editor is creating links with no link text.  I'm far from an html expert, but I finally figured out that it is p...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-21-2022 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I want all my assignments to be discussions. I've created discussions (with their assignment instructions in them), but my students can't see them. Why?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

We have found a glitch with the "Show one question at a time" option. If you select this option in a quiz with Numerical Answer, formula question or Fill in the blanks type of questions, answering with 0 will mark them unanswered in the sidebar.When ...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-13-2019 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Colleagues,I'd like to distribute some personalized information to each student at the end of the semester.  Right now, it's just a customized analysis of each student's performance.  This year, I'd like to add a blockcert (e.g., Learning Machines) t...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-30-2019 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 19 Replies

Can I import contents of google quiz into quizzes?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-15-2022 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi Canvas Community, We are looking for solutions to embed a mediawiki page  into CanvasLMS,  and we wanted to know if anyone has found a good solution to embed an external webpage to Canvas (other than using the iframe method). Ideally, we want to u...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 Replies

So, if a student wants to participate in a Blackboard discussion, they Create a Thread.Is it correct that if they want to participate in a Canvas discussion, they Reply to the original question? And that this Reply is the same as and Initial Post in ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I wanted to format a code block and inline code onto a Canvas page. See the examples below.Is there an easy way to do this?Thanks.Dawn

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-11-2019 View Solution
  • 7 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone,I’m curious if anyone has figured out a nice way to separate out “blocks” or groups of similar course navigation links.Using the redirect tool, and using dashes as the name, here is one idea. Here is a screenshot using ********** instead....

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 Replies

If I am grading a "QUIZ" that consists of essay-style questions, can those questions be graded with the same tool and toolbar (DocViewer?) I use when grading an "ASSIGNMENT"?  If so, how do I find that? In my current view of quiz submissions, I am no...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-01-2019 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I have a complete course in Schoology and would like to move the content without having to retype and create everything from scratch.  Can anyone help?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-01-2019 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies