Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Our SIS dumped in parents as observers in all of our courses. This is fine, but it automatically makes the notification frequency set to "Notify me right away" upon grade changes. We would prefer the parents have the opportunity to opt-in to receivin...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-07-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

You used to be able to drag and make Google Docs larger, but in the past 4-6 months it changed and you are no longer able to do that in the rich content editor. Now you have to use HTML and guess what size you want the document. Why is it not working...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-21-2019 View Solution
  • 9 Likes
  • 26 Replies

I want to manually create groups outside of canvas (based on non-repeating partners for multiple group sets and for other reasons), and then import this group set into Canvas.  Is there a way to do this by importing a csv with my groups?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-11-2022 View Solution
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I have a SCORM/Storyline question.... Trying to get a Storyline360 output to pass grades to the Canvas grade book.Output as SCORM 2004 (3rd edition) - also tried SCORM 1.2Tracking by the result slideHave set the LMS reporting to "Passed/Failed"Have i...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 Replies

We are creating a "Student Body Home" course for all 2700 of the students in our school.  The goal is to have a central location for resources along with some accountability pieces, such as an Honor Code quiz.  We also wanted to utilize announcements...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-24-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

When I sort assignments by date the newest show up on the right causing you to have to scroll. Can I sort it so the newest date is on the left?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I give online quizzes. I want the students to only see the correct answers after some date/time and only if they have attempted the quiz. I do not understand how to do this. My configuration looks like thisI thought this would let students see the an...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-21-2020 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

In the Total column how do I see what the total possible points is?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-28-2023 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 15 Replies

I am teaching using Canvas for the first time.  I have added a number of announcements.  They all defaulted to locked for comment.  How do I open an announcement for comment?  When I click on the settings icon to the right of an announcement, I only ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-21-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I have a list of assignments being pulled in from Pearson's MyFrenchLabs.  All of the assignments from the publisher are showing correctly in the assignment index in my course.  When I go to insert some (about a dozen out of 50 assignments) of these ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-20-2017 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 Replies

In canvas when I go to all courses it will tell me I am not registered for any classes but if I scroll to the very bottom it'll show my classes for the semester as future enrollment. 2 of my classes say they are published but canvas wont let me acces...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi everyone,I'm hoping someone can give me a little direction. I'm trying to import a SCORM file into Canvas. It is a rather large file (1.4 GB). I have gotten it to import successfully, and I can even preview it fine. However, no assignment is ever ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hi all,I've experienced a small but annoying problem with assignments in Canvas.I delivered a presentation to my staff on Monday about the joys and wonders of Speedgrader, especially the ability to use the feedback tools directly on student submissio...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-05-2018 View Solution
  • 12 Likes
  • 61 Replies

My students took a quiz and some of them took a retake. So I have two assignment entries in the Quizzes Assignment Group. What I would like to be able to do is to have a way to calculate the grade for the quiz by weighting the score of their original...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-14-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I have a class where the instructor copied everything from one course into another. Something that did NOT copy was the profile picture associated with his Announcements. I copied some announcements from one into another and I'm seeing the same thing...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-10-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 Replies

Any plans to allow teachers to (temporarily) hide columns in gradebook?I know it was suggested a while ago as an idea - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3477-hide-grade-columns-for-teacher-gradebook but I cannot see any mention of it on the Phas...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-16-2017 View Solution
  • 18 Likes
  • 11 Replies

How do I set up weekly recurring individual conferences with students and link the sign up to a particular Canvas course? 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 8 Replies

How do I add the "Next" button at the bottom of a page so that the course I'm building moves sequentially through the pages and modules I'm creating?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Can marking assignments missing being disabled? I have assignments that some students submit to, but mostly I manually enter the grade. I'm noticing that for students whose grade was manually added without a submission from them it is marked missing....

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-25-2017 View Solution
  • 34 Likes
  • 52 Replies

Is there a way to export student email addresses that are stored in Canvas? I need to create accounts for my students in another program and would like to use the email address that they currently have stored in Canvas as their primary email address....

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-05-2019 View Solution
  • 8 Likes
  • 12 Replies

Hi,How are student numbers allocated when anonymous marking is turned on? I thought it was to do with the first student interacting with a course becoming Student 1, the second being Student 2 etc. However, we had an assignment open this week and whe...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-10-2017 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Anyone have a suggestion on criteria for teachers to have as beginning Canvas users? I'm teaching an hour session to 20 educators. Thoughts appreciated!! I'm thinking things like:Profile settingsNotification settingsHow to access help/guides, etc.Cre...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-10-2017 View Solution
  • 15 Likes
  • 19 Replies

We have hybrid devices for staff and the Wiris Maths and Chemistry LTIs now provide amazing handwriting functionality so much that the built-in Maths Editor is redundant.Is there anyway of removing it from the list?Thanks

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-04-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Dear Community members,I have read the guide for integrating Office 365 LTI into Canvas and wanted to ask for a clarification about the following:The Office 365 LTI supports Microsoft OneDrive in Canvas and can be enabled at the account, sub-account,...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-01-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We've started enrolling teachers in our course about 2 months ago and receive emails from about 75% of our participants saying they haven't received the invitation. Before we enroll them, we send a welcome email informing them to add notifications@ca...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-03-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I have an instructor that contacted me today with this issue:> I have a question regarding closed captioning in Canvas. In adding closed captioning to my videos, I've noticed that the captions are OK if the videos are played at normal size. However, ...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Can students begin a quiz, save their progress and finish it at a later time? I am setting up my online course using the quiz feature more as an exploration, and not a traditional quiz. It will take them longer than one sitting to complete the entire...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-24-2017 View Solution
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I will be leaving the country for 11 days and was wondering if I can access my Canvas Courses overseas? 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-30-2021 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I have links to YouTube videos using the href tag in HTML. Whenever I save the page, a thumbnail shows of the YouTube video, however, I just want the link to show as text and not show as a thumbnail as well. How can I achieve this?

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-21-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is it possibe to create an out of office notificaton for messaging? It has become apprant this something we need to be able to do withlin canvasIf not - is it the case that if X messages Y in canvas and Y is away, an out of office notificaton from Ys...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-20-2017 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 16 Replies