Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

We have a concern about possible cheating in a discussion board.  A Spanish teacher pointed out that certain discussion posts have a strange colored box around student responses.  We are wondering why this might be,Example:Compared to this:

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies

My husband and I both use Canvas at our institution--Houston Community College.  He is experiencing a problem.We spot check averages to be careful.  Tonight, we discovered that his end of the semester grades are averaging approximately two points hig...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-11-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I do not want Canvas to calculate my students' final letter grade. I want the freedom to issue the semester letter grade in an additional grade center column. For example, a student earns 895 points out of 1000, a B on my grade scale--but the student...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 7 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I'm working with an instructor that has a quiz where students must view and identify images. The instructor is, of course, concerned about students simply right-clicking to do a reverse image search and get the answers, so I am working on easy method...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-09-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

My courses upload capacity is only 524.3MB but the content that I need to upload is a lot larger than that. How do I increase the storage so that I can upload all of the files (including video)

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-11-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hello, I'm somewhat new to using Canvas for quizzes and am trying to make a formula question.  Without getting into too many details, the question will provide two variables, x and y.  If 3x < y, the question will have one answer, and if 3x > y, the ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-19-2021 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I understand the Certificate of Completion idea is currently under consideration, but was wondering if anyone has had success with using a free third party tool to generate a certificate, inside a Canvas course?  Our hope it to create a Module that s...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 30 Likes
  • 15 Replies

A shotgun question, but does anyone know if Instructure is working on Learning Record Store (LRS) capabilities in Canvas? That would allow for tracking of a variety of user engagement .

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 28 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I currently have an avatar but I've been trying to change my profile pic for the past school year but it won't change. Every time I select a new image as a profile picture all it does is say "selecting image" and it stays like that. I've tried changi...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-03-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I have an instructor that splits her class into groups and has them discuss among themselves. She wants to know if there is a way that, after the discussion has taken place, she can open the group discussions up where everyone in the class can see ea...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-29-2017 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 17 Replies

When I send invitations to join a course, the button to get started and the canvas logo are not appearing. I checked permissions on the images folder and its contents, and it is set to 775. When I view the email source code and copy and past the URL ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-18-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I want to be able to grade students' class participation during each class. I have tried using the Attendance badges, but it does not automatically change the grade once a badge has been added; it is simply for note-taking purposes. I know that I can...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-01-2017 View Solution
  • 16 Likes
  • 24 Replies

Is it possible to embed interactive Jupyter (Python) notebooks into a course page so students can modify and execute Python code from within the course?python‌ jupiter lti

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-19-2019 View Solution
  • 12 Likes
  • 34 Replies

An instructor imported the complete Moodle backup of his course into Canvas, an .mbz file.  He thought the questions in quizzes and also in question banks came through correctly without checking each one.  It turns out that answers that included cert...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-14-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies

We have our modules set with requirements that won't allow the students to move from one to the next without completing certain assignments. Each module is set with the previous module as a prerequisite. One of our students has had an extended absenc...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-13-2017 View Solution
  • 7 Likes
  • 14 Replies

My courses do not have the 'Files' section, which is where I think I would normally be able to find embedded videos from the Module sections. I've right clicked the videos and 'saved as' onto my computer, but when I try to reopen, it opens in Canvas....

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-05-2021 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone,I quite new to canvas, I tried to follow the Prod installation guide here.No issue happen, I started:RedisPostgresqlCanvas_initApache2But when I point to the server, it displays the index, not the default page.I tried to search on Inte...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Is there a way to select all students whose grade is below a certain percentage to send them an inbox message?

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-22-2021 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 Replies

Our class sections are cross listed. Some teachers would like to be able to print grades from a single section instead of all sections. Even if I am looking at only a single section of a class in the gradebook, when I go to export the grades, it expo...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-02-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I run a hybrid class in which half the class attends discussions, which are recorded on Panopto and are required viewing for students who do not attend discussions. Yesterday was the first time that I looked at the statistics, and they're TERRIBLE. I...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-19-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 Replies

How do I get rid of the external links icon? I read the following in a discussion board, but it doesn't make sense to me.   "I managed to get rid of the icon by copying the table, erasing what was there, and pasting it back in."Thank you

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-13-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Thanks to all who participated in the discussions on Adding custom menu items and Help With Custom Menu Icons and Script.  It has helped me add an icon to our global navigation menu for our campus libraries. My question is this - is there an open boo...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-14-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Our teachers rely heavily on the quiz log to catch student cheating during exams. However, I'm noticing that the quiz log will note a student "stopped viewing the quiz" when they have not left the quiz screen. I even tested this myself masquerading a...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

I cannot add links to my pages in edit mode.  The files tab does not function and I get an error under Pages.  Loading failed...No Results.  Has anyone run into this error...Thanks

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I've finished creating a Quiz (really an exam) in my Canvas course. I normally have three sections, which I've made into Question Sets: Matching, Quote ID ("Essay Question" type), and Short Answer (also "Essay Question" type).I normally give students...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-19-2017 View Solution
  • 8 Likes
  • 16 Replies

What is <canvas-install-url> on the request :  GET https://<canvas-install-url>/login/oauth2/auth?client_id=XXX&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://example.com/oauth_complete&state=YYYI am creating a new LTI and working on the authentication piec...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-16-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I have a certain number of points being awarded for the roll call attendance.  Only students who have never been absent have points showing up in the grade book.  Any student who was marked absent at least once does not have a grade in the grade book...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-20-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When setting up grade categories, will I create new "groups" and then place assignments inside these groups? If this is correct, when I post in PowerSchool, will these grades post as I have them set up in PowerSchool?

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-13-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I gave my class a test.  Now I want to post the grades.  The instructions seem to explain everything conceivable except this most obvious of questions.  Where is this most secret of secretes kept?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

This is the first time I have seen this. The student was taking the quiz while not under my direct observation and their score was higher than normal.  Does this mean anything?

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-10-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies