Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Hello I signed up for a free course Systemic Approaches  to Public Policy Design.  I used my k-12 email to create canvas account.  I can't get in to the canvas for Harvard do I need a Harvard email or how can I get the code for the class?  Help!!!!!

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-27-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello, I have tired resetting my password four times and I have not recieved an email after two hours. I need to start doing work for my class. How can i request a new password?   

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-25-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We are moving to Canvas for the 2021-2022 school year and here is a big question that we are having trouble with finding a definitive answer. I'll use my Physics course as an example. It is a year long course with two semesters. Same students in each...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I created a module and it would not let me copy it to the site. It says Access denied. What do I do?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I'm developing some scripts in Python through CanvasAPI to automate grade submissions, comments, and attachments. I'd also like to automate submissions of rubric points and comments (here's the documentation for rubric_assessment), but I'm running in...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I am running my own Canvas server based on the documentation on official documentation on github, but I haven't found a way to run Canvas server in a cluster environment. To be clear, the Cache and the Database are in another server, the server I wan...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

New Quizzes needs the ability to add/record a video response. World Language teachers need to be able to have students record video/speech WITHIN the quiz, rather than recording and uploading to reduce cheating. (And to streamline when screen locks a...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-28-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

How can I create a custom image for my course tile that appears on the dashboard? 

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

When I create a page and insert a table with images it looks great in the content editor and when I save the page. However, when a set the page as the home page the table formatting is messed up and there are giant spaces between the rows on the tabl...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We were recently informed that Canvas is removing the older, course associated, question banks in the near future and replacing them with new instructor associated item banks. I really like this as it allows me to access questions across my courses, ...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-27-2021 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hi all, I just finished an exam today. It is a quiz(Two parts, multiply choice and short text question) . I finished answering at 3 pm. All answer has been auto saved at 14:56. Then i rewrite a short question. When I finish the question and ready to ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

How to release certain modules to specified users, not based on the pre-requisites? I need to open certain additional modules to a group of students, but hide these files from the rest of the students,  I've recently moved from Blackboard, and they h...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hello,  I'm trying to find a way to enable notifications (assignment submissions)  as part of account level -, so it will be pushed to all the courses. We have many adjunct faculty, who teaches multiple courses, and most of the time, they  do not tur...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When I hover over a navigation icon such as account, dashboard, etc. for example, I see a screen tip that states the name of the link such as account for the account link or dashboard for the dashboard link. I can see this when I hover over any navig...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-24-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I know the question of self-assessment on a Canvas Page has been posted before...but I am hoping for some code options. I am looking for coding options for embedding questions on a Canvas Page (not through Canvas Quizzes). For example, if I want stud...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I've seen a few people have posted this, but can someone please direct me or explain how to set up an email alert for when a student has completed a quiz?  I've tried several things with the notifications settings, but nothing has worked.    Thank yo...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

If I have a course where there is continual enrollment and I have groups set up for a discussion is it possible for students who are just coming into class to be automatically enrolled in a group?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi,  I looked for an existing community thread on this but did not find one.  We are in the early days of research Canvas our default LMS and wanted to know if its possible to deploy / configure Canvas as a headless LMS? We have a use case where we a...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi All,     We are trying to replace our root "Account Admin" users with lower privileged accounts. We have an API that uses the "delete /courses/{courseId}?" API. When it is called with full "Account Admin" it returns 204 and removes the user. But w...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-29-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I'm currently trying to download files using the canvas API and I'm having an issue with the file's url. In every explanation that I can find the url follows this structure: "http://<canvas>/files/<id>/download?download_frd=1&verifier=[verifier]"  Bu...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello,  I am an instructor with a question about batch editing possibilities for modules. I would like to be able to batch rename all the pages inside the module without having to drill down one by one and edit each title. Is that possible? Thanks!

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 07-08-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I am using the Update a Course API to attempt to update a course_code (the course's shortname). https://canvas.beta.instructure.com/doc/api/courses.html#method.courses.updateUsing Postman, it builds this request (I am using PUT as specified):https://...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-23-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

In the document What are the Canvas accessibility standards?, the Keyboard Shortcuts information is duplicated. Could the extra text be deleted for better readability? Page: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/What-are-the-Canvas-a...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

The teachers no longer have the button in Settings to delete a course.  When I check the teacher role settings this is what I see and you cannot change it.  The icon is half green and cannot be changed. See pic.  Any ideas?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

The "Delete this course" button is now missing from course settings and attempting to delete a course via the API results in a 401 "unauthorized" error. The button in settings has been available for years and the API endpoint to delete courses has w...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is it possible to view outcomes linked to questions in new quizzes in the learning mastery gradebook?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Is there anyway to get the Pretty HTML Editor to stop encoding Swedish characters like åäö into old-school &auml; etc? It's really annoying when editing the html directly. The character set utf-8 supports these from what I know. It's been so long sin...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hi Community, There are activity and resource changes that need to be made to a blueprint course, and that blueprint then associated with the active course.  I'm fine with this. Because this is an active course (in other words there are students on t...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I’m having issues trying to change the colors of my courses in terms of transferring them accurately on my google calendar. For example, I have three classes; one that I put green, one orange and the other is purple on Canvas Calendae. But when I cop...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Throughout Canvas' UI, the default style for links is blue text with no underline except on hover. But when I create a link in a page in a course, the underline is always on by default. If I apply the "text-decoration: none;" style, then there is nev...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies