cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

can all reports be downloaded in one file such as in a mdb file?

Jump to solution

can all reports be downloaded in one file such as in a mdb file?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

showarth@northern.ac.uk

No.

The files on the Canvas Data portal come as tab delimited text files. It is up to you to manipulate them into a usable format.

In addition, there are limits to the size of an Access database and Canvas Data will likely surpass that. You can only have 2 GB of data with Access and our compressed files are over 42 GB (much larger when uncompressed).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

sorry, let me clarify. by reports i am meaning the files on the Canvas data portal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello showarth@northern.ac.uk Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I am not completely sure of an answer for you, so I have shared your question with the Data and Analytics‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not following this group, there are two links in the upper right corner of that group page you should click on: "Follow" and "Actions".  Within the "Actions" link, also select "Join group".  I hope this will be of help to you, Steven.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

showarth@northern.ac.uk

No.

The files on the Canvas Data portal come as tab delimited text files. It is up to you to manipulate them into a usable format.

In addition, there are limits to the size of an Access database and Canvas Data will likely surpass that. You can only have 2 GB of data with Access and our compressed files are over 42 GB (much larger when uncompressed).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi showarth@northern.ac.uk‌ --

As James says, the Canvas Data dumps consist of many (many) compressed tab-delimited files; it's up to you to copy them and put them into some kind of database (which can be tricky to do right, and tedious). 

If you have access to an Amazon Web Services account, I've been working on a tutorial on how to create your own queryable copy of your Canvas Data. I'm planning to post it to this group when I get it finished up. You can get a sneak peek here:

Tutorial · Harvard-University-iCommons/canvas-data-aws Wiki · GitHub 

If you do give that a try, let me know how it went. I'm interested in any feedback that you have on the tutorial!

--Colin

Highlighted
Navigator

50581462 I know this isn't finished, but already it's impressive.

Highlighted
Learner II

We've been waiting for this. Thank You