cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rredd
Community Member

change quiz points?

Jump to solution

Are there options to change total quiz points?  I only see edit option to change quiz points question by question.  Too labor intensive!

Questions for my imported quiz got assigned one point per question when moved from Moodle to Canvas but that is not what I want and I haven't found how to change total quiz points.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​,

If you deliver the questions using question groups in the quiz, then you can assign what ever points you want to the group: How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group linked to a Question Bank?​  This also provides you with a question randomization when you use question groups.

Robbie

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​,

If you deliver the questions using question groups in the quiz, then you can assign what ever points you want to the group: How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group linked to a Question Bank?​  This also provides you with a question randomization when you use question groups.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Have you found that if you use question groups, the questions do not show up in the question bank?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Deactivated user​, Robbie's solution will definitely work for you; you can just drag and drop the questions into a single question group (or into multiple question groups, if that serves your design needs better), and the question randomization is a nice additional benefit.

Also, you might want to give your consideration to this feature idea:

pwalsh
Community Member

But doesn't this override any point values you've assigned to the questions in a question bank?  I like the question banks, but when I assign point values to questions in the bank it doesn't matter. They all end up with the point value specified in the question group. I don't want to select questions, which I think preserves their point value, because I want them randomized. But since my banks are topical (all the questions I use about fraction addition, for example), I'd like to be able to have differently-pointed questions in the bank that retain their originally-assigned point values when I put them in a question group.

Is there a way to do that?

Yes,  @pwalsh ​, you're absolutely right: if you drag and drop questions into a question group, the number of points you assign to each question will override the point values you've assigned to those questions in the question banks. The only way to preserve those point values is not to use question groups.

If you like the randomization feature (as so many of us do) but don't want to use question groups to accomplish that, and also want to preserve the point values you've assigned to the questions, this related feature idea is currently garnering votes and comments: 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

No, you can't randomize your question order using a group and have questions worth different numbers of points. The reason? Then there could be a possibility of different students having quizzes worth different number of points. What you could do is group your questions by topic and number of points you want them to be worth. It's a little extra work, but would allow you to have different questions with different numbers of points.

Hi Patricia,

This is the same question I had. However,  @kona ' response helped me understand why they don't allow this feature. I wish they had a feature where in each quiz, the instructor could choose between the following two options:

"I will be pulling all questions, but in random order" = All students will receive the same point value, question groups will allow different points to be assigned to different questions in the same group

"I will not be pulling all questions" = To prevent students from receiving quizzes with inconsistent point values, instructors would be unable to assign different points to questions in the same group.

What would you think of this? Which is your situation?

stephent
Community Member

I would just like the simple feature to select all the questions in a given quiz and assign them the same point value at once.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@stephent ​, here's a similar feature idea - . It's not exactly what you are wanting, but I think it would get the job done. I'm hoping that this will get addressed in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ - which is where I recommend you add your feedback/recommendations.