cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

copy exams

Jump to solution

I have my exams, but need to copy one of the exams and change the requirements.  How do I just copy the exam and rename it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer II

mschultz@uwf.edu‌,

Hello! You can not actually duplicate a quiz within Canvas, you can only do this with assignments. However, there is a work around for copying quizzes. When you are in 'Quizzes' in the Course Navigation. You can click on the pancakes (three dots) to the right of the quiz you want to copy. Then click 'Copy to'. On the right you will get a side window that appears. You then want to select the same course you are currently working in for the copy to go to. Then click 'Copy'. You will then need to refresh your screen in order for your 'copied exam' to appear. 

The copy will be its on entity and therefore you can make the necessary edits. 

All the best!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Explorer II

mschultz@uwf.edu‌,

Hello! You can not actually duplicate a quiz within Canvas, you can only do this with assignments. However, there is a work around for copying quizzes. When you are in 'Quizzes' in the Course Navigation. You can click on the pancakes (three dots) to the right of the quiz you want to copy. Then click 'Copy to'. On the right you will get a side window that appears. You then want to select the same course you are currently working in for the copy to go to. Then click 'Copy'. You will then need to refresh your screen in order for your 'copied exam' to appear. 

The copy will be its on entity and therefore you can make the necessary edits. 

All the best!

View solution in original post

This isn't working right in Canvas today. I have "copied to" and renamed the quiz in order to modify some content for a makeup. My first step has been to rename the quiz (e.g., Midterm makeup Gina) and save it. Then I edit the items and due dates and save again, then refresh.

The Midterm module looked fine at first each time I did it. I did this for four different students, where students needed different numbers of questions (don't ask). But when I returned to the module later, I got different results:

• I copied the original quiz for Ty, and then copied Ty's to another module, renamed it to Gina, and deleted half the questions. The possible score changed. I moved it back to the Midterm module, and later it had two copies of Ty's quiz, both with Ty's total points. No Gina.
  • I copied Ty's to a different module, renamed it Stormy, deleted 90% of questions, moved it back to midterm module. All was well.
  • Copied Stormy's to a different module, renamed it Ray, moved back to Midterm module. Now, I had two Stormys and no Ty. Later, Ray disappeared as well.
  • Did Ray's again in different module. This time I copied it (instead of moved it) to the Midterm module, checked, and then removed from other module. That also deleted Ray's from the Midterm module.

Is this confusing? You bet. It's also wasting time.

WTF?

BTW, this is a Classic quiz.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello mschultz@uwf.edu.  Just to add to the great information jennifernichols@wsdr4.org posted, if you happen to be using New Quizzes (see What is New Quizzes?), under the pancake menu there is a duplicate feature since assessments in New Quizzes are technically considered assignments by Canvas.

All the best!