cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

course visibility override of term availability setting

Jump to solution

I really did not want to post this as an idea yet.  I wanted to get some feedback on it before deciding if it is an idea that needs to be pushed out.

I just recently tried to publish a new course with an earlier availability  date than the one set by the admins.  Since I am new to Canvas, this was the first time I tried this operation.  I had published the class and changed the start date.  However, I managed to miss the check box for

This will override any term availability settings.

Therefore, when I checked my dummy students account ( a good reason(possibly) to have one of those as opposed to just student view) I could see the course in my future class list, but no way to actually go to the class.  Once I talked to an Admin, it took all of 2 seconds to correct the problem by checking the box.

in trying to resolve my problem before calling the Admin, I found the check boxes under the visibility section for

Restrict students from viewing course after end date

and

Restrict students from viewing course before start date

And those boxes obviously were not going to resolve the problem I had. 

My thought is that if I purposely change the start date for a course and the course is published,  the check box for overriding the term settings should be done automatically.  I do not know if this is an option that our admins can turn on/off or modify for us or not.  I posted a picture of the settings page showing the lines mentioned above(more for people like me than people with the answers).

Any admins out there have any comments about this question?

49266_pastedImage_3.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I'm not doing anything special, so here's my shot-in-the-dark attempt at an explanation (which is only worth about 95% of a normal explanation).

In the Account Management page, there are a couple of things that might be causing the trickle-down effect.

In no particular order:

Under Terms, we have that students can access from term start to term end. We have dates specified for the terms, but not specifically for the Students option that appears when you edit a term. I don't know if it's relevant, but when trying to track down differences having more information is better than less, but our dates for the terms were set through a SIS import.  Our SIS imports also specify dates for the courses so they override the ones for the terms. Our sections don't normally specify dates, instead using the ones for the course. Canvas checks, in order, the dates for section, course, and term, using whichever one it finds first (sections override courses which override terms). The instructor can go in and modify those and it will override what's on the back-end and everything works.

Under Settings for the account, we have the option to "Restrict students from viewing courses before start date" checked, but not the one to lock it for sub-accounts and courses. We will probably enable letting students view their courses after the end date as well, but I told our admin not to change it right before the end of the semester.

Those are the obvious ones. But as to kona@richland.edu​ comment, you might double check that the courses were done through a SIS import and not manually created. And a final note, although it probably doesn't matter, our SIS imports are done through the API, not by a manual batch upload through the GUI.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi bowmanr@uah.edu

Reading this reminded me of all the times I've had to explain this to all the teachers who want their course to open earlier or go longer. Admins don't have a way to make that checkbox "checked by default" when a teacher changes the dates. I think you are on to something good, so I would submit this as a Canvas Feature Idea​. It would definitely have my vote!

PS: If you do submit this idea, please post a link to it here so we are notified and can help vote it up!

Highlighted

Thanks clong@hbuhsd.edu -

I needed an Admins perspective on it.  My thought was that I understand LMS's pretty good (webct, blackboard(for 9 painful months), ANGEL, Canvas) and that if I missed this that less experienced people may as well (or maybe not since they may tend to read things more carefully instead of gloss over them).

I will try to get this posted sometime today.

Highlighted

bowmanr@uah.edu, did you post this as a feature idea?  I need the link to vote it up!  To me, that check box under the course availability dates is redundant and shouldn't be there at all. If an instructor puts dates in there, then OBVIOUSLY they want the students to have access then.  This is causing us all sorts of grief!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bowmanr@uah.edu​ & clong@hbuhsd.edu​, I'm not sure how the magic happens, but in our Instance of Canvas the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates." box is automatically checked for programmatically created courses. This isn't the case for manually created courses, but I checked four of our summer courses and the box is automatically checked for all of them.

james@richland.edu​ - do you know if there is something you do special on your side of things?

Highlighted

I'm not doing anything special, so here's my shot-in-the-dark attempt at an explanation (which is only worth about 95% of a normal explanation).

In the Account Management page, there are a couple of things that might be causing the trickle-down effect.

In no particular order:

Under Terms, we have that students can access from term start to term end. We have dates specified for the terms, but not specifically for the Students option that appears when you edit a term. I don't know if it's relevant, but when trying to track down differences having more information is better than less, but our dates for the terms were set through a SIS import.  Our SIS imports also specify dates for the courses so they override the ones for the terms. Our sections don't normally specify dates, instead using the ones for the course. Canvas checks, in order, the dates for section, course, and term, using whichever one it finds first (sections override courses which override terms). The instructor can go in and modify those and it will override what's on the back-end and everything works.

Under Settings for the account, we have the option to "Restrict students from viewing courses before start date" checked, but not the one to lock it for sub-accounts and courses. We will probably enable letting students view their courses after the end date as well, but I told our admin not to change it right before the end of the semester.

Those are the obvious ones. But as to kona@richland.edu​ comment, you might double check that the courses were done through a SIS import and not manually created. And a final note, although it probably doesn't matter, our SIS imports are done through the API, not by a manual batch upload through the GUI.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I think this is the key

james@richland.edu​ writes "Our SIS imports also specify dates for the courses so they override the ones for the terms."

We do not specify dates for courses when we do our SIS imports. Anyone want to give this a try and see if it does the trick? Even if it does I still think bowmanr@uah.edu​ feature idea is a good idea.

Highlighted

james@richland.edu​, clong@hbuhsd.edu​ -

I talked with one of the admins today about something else and then brought up this issue.  Evidently it is something that can be set somewhere and our institution decided to leave it unchecked.  I do not know any of the admin stuff associated with it, but there is a way it can be set at the institution level.  They have brought this issue up with our panda rep about the possibility of having the dates entered by the instructor override the default configuration - something along the lines of are dates set by the instructor? yes - use them for course availability, no use the default term dates set when the course is created.

Thanks for the input (not that a lot of it made sense to me), but I now know it is working as intended - just not with the correct logic (which of course is my logic).

Now If I could mark multiple responses correct.  I gave James the credit - although I do not quite follow it, it sounds more along the lines of what I was told by our admins. 

Highlighted

I'd really like to know where this magical setting is in admin land? All I see is this:

49632_pastedImage_0.png

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wonder if it's a CSM thing?