cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuentesm
Community Member

entering grades

I have set up my groups: exams 30%; participation 10% etc.; however, when I go to the column that I have set up, it will not allow me to enter a grade???? I entered these categories under groups where I put the percentage points for each group.  What do I need to do once I get to the grade book, click on student's name then go to the column but cannot enter the grade????

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @fuentesm  Welcome to the Canvas Community! From your description, it sounds like you're trying to enter grades in the Assignment Group column. That column is read-only and is automatically calculated based on the grades given to the individual assignments within that group. After organizing the groups on the Assignments page, did you place assignments appropriately within their respective groups? And did you assign those assignments grades? Once you do, you'll see grades populate the Assignment Group columns.

If I've misunderstood where you're encountering the difficulty, please come back and let us know.

fuentesm
Community Member

I don't believe I did.  I don't understand what you mean about putting assignments in their respective group? or assigning those assignments grades? I am so sorry.  Where can I get an example of this.  

Thanks so much, 

Madeline

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@fuentesm ‌, each assignment group will need to contain the specific graded content that contribute to that percentage of the weighting. Here are some lessons for creating graded content:

How do I create an assignment? 

How do I assign a graded discussion to everyone in a course? 

How do I create a quiz with individual questions? 

Once you've created the assignment content items, those assignments will display in the Assignments Index page (the same place where you created the weighted assignment groups). You can then move those assignments into the appropriate assignment groups.

After you've created and published the assignments, they will automatically display in the Gradebook. When you're ready to grade them, you can enter the grades directly in the Gradebook column for that assignment.

How do I use the Gradebook? 

If students will be uploading documents as their assignment submissions, and you'd like to annotate those documents with your comments and suggestions, you can grade through the SpeedGrader and use DocViewer to annotate: How do I use SpeedGrader? 

Grades that you enter in SpeedGrader will automatically populate the Gradebook.

And at that point, the Assignment Group columns in the Gradebook will automatically populate with the aggregated grades for the graded content items you've placed into each assignment group.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Also,  @fuentesm ‌, this video should help you envision how it all comes together:  

holmesm2
Community Member

I was having the same issue. Turns out I just needed to Publish the assignments that I'd created. So... in Assignments, each individual assignment I had created had circle with a line through it on the right. If you click that icon, it publishes the assignment.  Then, click on Grades and you should be able to click in the box to input the grade.  Hope this helps.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @fuentesm ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since February 13, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you received from stefaniesanders‌?  In particular, please see her responses from January 21, 2019 @ 3:47 p.m. (with links to the written Guides) and 3:48 p.m. (with the link to the tutorial video).  All those links should help to answer your question.  If you feel that Stefanie has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to her response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your original question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity for over five months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Madeline.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.