error formula quiz question

Jump to solution
merel_bergen
Community Novice

I try to generate a question with a formula, in the step to define the formula I keep getting the following error message: "expecting a value at 1, got a equals". In Excel the formula works without fault. What does this error mean? What am I doing wrong?

just to be complete I've added my formula and the variable definitions below:

formula "=(k0*(1+((1+(iy/100/ix))^ix-1))^n)*(1+((1+(iy/100/ix))^ix-1)*q/365)"

variables k0 between 4000 and 50000

iy between 1 and 10

ix between 1 and 12

n between 1 and 10

q between 1 and 364

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @merel_bergen ...

I'll start out by saying that I'm not an instructor (I'm a Canvas administrator at our school), and I don't teach math courses...nor do I use the formula question type regularly.  So, my response may be completely off...in which case, I'm hopeful that someone else might be able to chime in.  But, I'm gonna give this a shot.  Please check out the following screen shot from my own sandbox course using your formula:

Formula Question

There are a few things I've highlighted:

• First, notice at the top of the screen, all your variables need to be in the square brackets.  You may have your question configured this way already.
  • At the bottom, I believe your formula should look like what I've displayed above.  No equals sign needed to start.
  • The right column with the example values is what I think may have been causing the issue that you described...as I also saw that same message.  When I initially set up he question, there wasn't a number in that column for every row.  But, after I hit the "Recompute" button, numbers filled in, and the error message I saw went away.  So, I'm assuming that it will also go away for you, too.  (And, I can click on "Recompute" as much as I want to generate different numbers for all rows.)

I hope this will work for you, too, Merel.  Let Community members know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post