cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgs
Surveyor

essay grading issue

I'm trying to grade a "quiz" which contains 1) automatically graded t/f and multiple choice questions and 2) essay questions. It isn't allowing my to enter the points for each discussion response. I'm not finding anything helpful in the guides. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dongoh-joo
Community Member

I am having the same issue and it is extremely annoying as students are asking me about when their grade would become available.

dgs
Surveyor

I got a response doing a chat with support: You must go to the bottom of the quiz and click "update grade" after every entry. So, for 5 essay questions you must go to the bottom and enter before progressing to the next essay question. 

trr10
Community Member

To add to this, if you do not press "update" for each question, you risk losing the score and starting from scratch. It is beyond frustrating when this happens. 

Even better, clicking "update" takes time. I have timed grading from clicking the "grade by question" at top, scrolling down to the question (using the grade by question), entering a grade, pressing update grade, then clicking the next student. It adds approximately 8 seconds per student. This might not seem like a lot, but any instructor knows that grading by question rather than by student is more productive and effective. I have 300 students. I might have 4 or 5 short answer questions. This is an extra three or more hours per test for my grading. 

Blackboard puts all of the answers on one page, you grade, you submit, problem solved. You also don't have to worry about losing the material that way.