Highlighted
Community Member

exporting a file to another Canvas course

Jump to solution

I have an online and f-2-f course this semester.  They are separate courses.  I uploaded a large audio narrated PPT file to one of the courses.  How do I find that file in the other course to also put it there, without reuploading the file??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi ksobieck@uww.edu Welcome  to the Canvas Community.  I assume this is indeed a file that you have in the course and not something that you generated within a specific lecture capture system (such as Panopto or similar tools).  If it's not, you'll have to consult with your local support people, as each lecture capture system has its own idiosyncrasies for handling transferring narrated material from one course to another.

With that caveat, transferring a large file like that from one course to another is pretty easy to do in Canvas. Head to the "destination" course--the one that you want to transfer the file into--and follow the directions in this online lesson: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13101-4152497985   Important:  Be sure you enable the radio button for Select specific content, as shown under the Select Migration Content heading of that lesson.  That's important because you do not want to do an entire course import, but rather just one specific item.  After clicking the Import button, Canvas will then ask you to find and select the specific item(s) you wish to import into that course, as shown in the later screen captures of that guide.  It's a very cool process and easy to do.

I hope this helps, Kate!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi ksobieck@uww.edu Welcome  to the Canvas Community.  I assume this is indeed a file that you have in the course and not something that you generated within a specific lecture capture system (such as Panopto or similar tools).  If it's not, you'll have to consult with your local support people, as each lecture capture system has its own idiosyncrasies for handling transferring narrated material from one course to another.

With that caveat, transferring a large file like that from one course to another is pretty easy to do in Canvas. Head to the "destination" course--the one that you want to transfer the file into--and follow the directions in this online lesson: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13101-4152497985   Important:  Be sure you enable the radio button for Select specific content, as shown under the Select Migration Content heading of that lesson.  That's important because you do not want to do an entire course import, but rather just one specific item.  After clicking the Import button, Canvas will then ask you to find and select the specific item(s) you wish to import into that course, as shown in the later screen captures of that guide.  It's a very cool process and easy to do.

I hope this helps, Kate!

View solution in original post