cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

file storage/management in Canvas

I have a query with regard to file storage/management in Canvas. I have a site which was set up about 2 months ago (with no probs whatsoever), but which I recently updated with a single, new hyperlinked pdf file added to a page.

All hyperlinked “old” material has three opening possibilities (all work fine):

1. Opens the file by clicking on the link directly (gets the adobe "open with/save" as dialogue box)
  2. The preview the document “in situ” (opens in the canvas web page)
  3. View in another window (in Firefox I get the adobe open with/save as dialogue box again).

The new upload causes problems despite being uploaded in exactly the same way as the others from within the relevant canvas site itself.

For options 1 and 3 the file appears not to be found initially (certainly no open/save dialogue box), then the browser moves to what seems to be a common file store page (something like MyName/Files), not the Canvas site I was in, and when it is eventually found and loads within the browser - in the same format one sees in line files in Box. Option 2 does not work at all.

Hovering the cursor over the new file link shows the file is not associated with the canvas site (like the others /courses/12345/files)) and therefore I fear student cannot access it.

How can I resolve this problem, and avoid in the future.

5 Replies
Community Member

Hi a.n.boa@hull.ac.uk Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I am guessing, from what you described, that this is something that popped up with the very latest production release.  You may want to take a look here: Problems downloading files from Canvas .  Also, check a few comments towards the bottom of the latest Production Release notes.  

I am thinking that you should still report this to Canvas, however (Help>>Report a Problem, which in some cases may get sent to your institution's IT area first), so that they can keep tabs of each case and also so that you can be updated of any additional progress as they work to resolve this.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, please report this to Canvas Support. It's a known issue, but if you don't report it then it's difficult for Canvas to understand the extent of the issue and the number of people that are impacted. In addition, this way you'll also get an email when they push through a fix for the problem!

Kona

Community Team
Community Team

a.n.boa@hull.ac.uk‌, kblack@dom.edu‌ and kona@richland.edu have given you great guidance. Please be sure to submit a support ticket to stay on top of the progress of this fix, and check Canvas Status - Issues with Rich Content Editor in Canvas for updates as well.

Learner II

Current work around for us is to open another tab, go to Files to find the downloadable link for that particular file (click gear to the right of the file then right click the wording "Download" and copy that link), then embedding that files/xxxxx/download link instead of whatever new format Canvas defaults to embedding files now a days.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, a.n.boa@hull.ac.uk...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on November 2, 2017 and then received replies from kblack@dom.edukona@richland.edustefaniesanders, and hfchen later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review their responses?  It looks like the majority of people indicate that you should contact the folks at the Canvas Help Desk about this issue.  Have you had a chance to do this?  If so, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Would you be willing to share what you have learned back here in this topic?  If you feel that one of the above replies helps to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this topic to post a message below letting us know how we can help.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for well over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Andrew.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.