reclemon
Community Member

How do I add a grading rubric?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@reclemon  

There are a few steps. I'm going to provide links to lessons from the Canvas Instructor Guide for additional information.

1. Start by going to the Rubrics page and creating the rubric. How do I add a rubric in a course?  
  2. Now that you have a rubric, you need to attach it to an assignment or discussion.
  3. The third step is to select the rubric settings in the assignment or discussion and check the box to "Use this rubric for assignment grading." There is no separate link for this, it's explained in the lessons in step 2.

A few notes about the last step.

• If you check the box to use the rubric for assignment grading and then attach the rubric, it will not remember the setting. You need to to back into settings after finding and attaching the rubric and then select the box to use for grading.
  • At some point, you may get an ominous-sounding warning about editing rubrics and how it will make a copy if you edit them. That warning only applies to changing the actual rubric, not to changing the settings on the rubric. If all you are doing is checking the box to use it for grading, you can ignore that warning.

In step 1, you can also create the rubric from the assignment itself. I prefer to use the Rubrics page. I'm not sure why I developed that habit in the first place. The reason I use it now is because I wrote a script that will import rubrics from a spreadsheet and it only works from the rubrics page.

View solution in original post

0 Likes