cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

highlighted text becomes a yellow block

Jump to solution

When grading assignments in speedgrader, I often highlight a selection of text so the student knows what was missing or what I'm commenting on in their response.  On the student end however, the highlighted text shows up as a yellow block.  The text underneath is fully covered by the yellow highlighter and is not readable through the yellow.  Is this a known problem?  Any tips to work around this, other than not using the highlighter function? Thanks. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Team
Community Team

Hi danderson@carrington.edu,

I took a quick look at some of your graded assignments with highlighted comments and the highlight, from both an instructor view and student view, appears readable. If you have some examples of unreadable highlighting, I'd recommend reporting those to Canvas Support as that sounds like buggy behavior. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out! 

Naomi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

Hi danderson@carrington.edu,

I took a quick look at some of your graded assignments with highlighted comments and the highlight, from both an instructor view and student view, appears readable. If you have some examples of unreadable highlighting, I'd recommend reporting those to Canvas Support as that sounds like buggy behavior. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out! 

Naomi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi Naomi, 

It happens when the student accesses their homework on an iPad, but not on a PC.  I will attempt to also email Canvas support, but my first attempts did not find easy contact information, which is how this issue ended up here in the Canvas community.  It seems that many others actually have this same issue, but no one at Canvas sees it the same way when trying to recreated the issue from forums I've read through.  Thanks. 

345201_highlighted on iPad 2.jpg

Community Member

I have the same problem.   The highlighter blocks the text so it cannot be seen.   Please look into this.

Surveyor

I'm having the same problem, just learning to grade on Speedgrader and while colleagues at other schools recommend highlighting as the easiest way to leave comments, the text beneath is completely blocked out when I do so so it's useless and I'm left to try to use the rectangular selection tool (which isn't great if the text I want to highlight spans multiple or partial lines).  I'm using the newest version of Safari too, and don't want to use Chrome.  What is the deal with this issue? Being able to highlight text is really the main thing I need for annotations.

Learner

This issue only seems to occur in Safari (doesn't matter if you have the latest version).

In any other browser it works just fine. Try Chrome, Firefox or Vivaldi if you're on an Apple system.