Late/Unsubmitted assignment notification

Jump to solution
nspen
Community Member

I'm a student who just transitioned onto Canvas and I wish that late or missing assignments were pushed forward to your To-Do list like it was on Classroom so I knew if it was actually submitted or not. I also wish there was one compiled to-do list from all classes and not just the calendar, I fully understand that these are two different programs but as a student who doesn't want to fail Junior year please either add this feature or help me navigate these problems better.

🙂 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@nspen 

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of some things.

Assignment groups have to do with how the gradebook is setup. They are logical containers for different types of assignments. For example, you can have exams, quizzes, homework, projects, and labs. If you want to, then you can make them worth a certain percentage of the grade and then you have a weighted gradebook. These are added from the assignments page at the top where it says +Group.

However, that will not fix the issue I think that you're describing. Assignment groups are restricted to a single course within Canvas, so it won't let you assign to three individual courses at the same time.

If you want to assign the material to three classes at one time, you will need to combine the classes within Canvas. This is typically done with the cross-listing functionality, although we manage that on our end and put all of the students into one course and assign them to a section based on which course they are in. If you want to make the due dates and times the same for all three classes, then you don't need anything else than to get them all inside the same Canvas course.

If you want to have different due dates and time or if you want to assign some assignments to one class but not another, then you need to use differentiated assignments. This allows you to assign things to targeted sections, groups, or individuals. For example, I have a make up exam that only gets assigned to the students who didn't pass the original exam or I might want to give one section of my course one version of the final exam and the other section a different final exam.

However, if your courses are not combined together into one, then you will need to go through and duplicate assignments within each course and assign them. There's no magic button that duplicates the effort (unless you're using blueprint courses)

View solution in original post