how does gradebook calculate avg for an assignment group?

Jump to solution
stahl1
Community Member

I'm linking mcgraw-hill connect homework assignments with my canvas course. they show up in the grade book as they should in my assignment group called homework.  They don't all have the same number of questions (some have 4, some 7, etc). when gradebook calculates the average for this assignment group; i want it to consider the score of each hwk as a % correct and then take the avg of those %s. will it do that? or will it give more weight to an assignment with more questions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@stahl1  

Within a single assignment group in Canvas, the weighting is done by how many points each assignment is worth. An 8 point assignment is worth double a 4 point assignment.

If you need the assignments to all count the same, then you need to make them all the same number of points.

I don't use McGraw Hill Connect, but if they are creating and updating the assignments, then you will need to adjust the point values there and then let them propagate to Canvas. If the system doesn't check after the assignments are created, then you can change the point values in Canvas to be the same. The LTI grade passback is normally as a proportion between 0 and 1 (0% to 100%). Again, I'm not sure how this is handled.

Note that if you change the point values for any assignment inside Canvas, it will not automatically adjust the grades. Changing an 8 point assignment to a standardized 5 point assignment will cause some people to get extra credit. If you can make the change in McGraw Hill's product and then update it inside Canvas, it should adjust.

View solution in original post

0 Likes