cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aanderson260
Community Member

how to add a column in canvas gradebook

Jump to solution

how to add a column in canvas gradebook?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi Aisha,

This is actually very easy, and a good concept to understand about how Canvas course components work together.

• 'Assignments', in the course menu, drive the 'Gradebook', and whatever is created in 'Assignments' is directly reflected in the 'Gradebook'.
  • The Gradebook is displayed in the same order of 'Groups' and 'Assignments' as they are in the 'Assignments' area accessed through the course menu.
  • Anything that is potentially graded in Canvas (assignments, discussions, quizzes, surveys), becomes an 'Assignment'. 
    • Assignment 'Groups' are the containers for the various graded and ungraded components of the Gradebook.
      • 'Assignments', Quizzes', 'Discussions', etc.
    • Columns in the Gradebook are automatically created by whatever is entered/created in 'Assignments' under the course menu.
      • Adding a 'Group' in 'Assignments' will create a corresponding column/section in the Gradebook.
      • Adding/creating an 'Assignment', or other potentially graded item in 'Assignments' will automatically create a corresponding column in the Gradebook.
      • If the item in 'Assignments' is set to create a grade, score, pass/fail, etc., it will reflect in the corresponding column in the gradebook.
      • If the item in 'Assignments' is set to 'no submission' or 'ungraded', the corresponding column in the gradebook will be open for your input as desired.
  • Here is a link to an article from the Canvas GuidesHOW DO I CREATE ASSIGNMENT COLUMNS FOR NON-SUBMISSION ASSIGNMENTS IN THE GRADEBOOK?

I hope this answers your question and provides some insights.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bbennett2
Navigator II

It depends on what you're trying to add. Assignments will be added automatically as you create them. Creating Assignment Groups (+ Group) will add columns for that group in the gradebook.

You can also go into the "More" dots in the Assignments page and enable Group Weights and define the weight of each group, which is then also added to the gradebook.

I want dates to show up without needing to go to Gradebook History, which I cannot download. Canvas makes my job a lot harder - I will waste a lot of precious time sorting out who did what when for compliance purposes. I realize that Canvas is not designed for compliance, but it never occurred to me that a more modern system than what I was previously using would not allow what I consider to be very basic functions. I suppose that for academic courses, nobody really cares about date of completion, because that is managed by due dates and dates the course is open for. Mine are always open.

Go to your course and click on Settings (bottom left) and then look in the Feature Options tab. If you have "New Gradebook" as an option, enable it. It adds much more comprehensive sorting options, including at the module or assignment category level. The old gradebook certainly was lacking, which is why this update was so nice.

Community Member

Hi Aisha,

This is actually very easy, and a good concept to understand about how Canvas course components work together.

• 'Assignments', in the course menu, drive the 'Gradebook', and whatever is created in 'Assignments' is directly reflected in the 'Gradebook'.
  • The Gradebook is displayed in the same order of 'Groups' and 'Assignments' as they are in the 'Assignments' area accessed through the course menu.
  • Anything that is potentially graded in Canvas (assignments, discussions, quizzes, surveys), becomes an 'Assignment'. 
    • Assignment 'Groups' are the containers for the various graded and ungraded components of the Gradebook.
      • 'Assignments', Quizzes', 'Discussions', etc.
    • Columns in the Gradebook are automatically created by whatever is entered/created in 'Assignments' under the course menu.
      • Adding a 'Group' in 'Assignments' will create a corresponding column/section in the Gradebook.
      • Adding/creating an 'Assignment', or other potentially graded item in 'Assignments' will automatically create a corresponding column in the Gradebook.
      • If the item in 'Assignments' is set to create a grade, score, pass/fail, etc., it will reflect in the corresponding column in the gradebook.
      • If the item in 'Assignments' is set to 'no submission' or 'ungraded', the corresponding column in the gradebook will be open for your input as desired.
  • Here is a link to an article from the Canvas GuidesHOW DO I CREATE ASSIGNMENT COLUMNS FOR NON-SUBMISSION ASSIGNMENTS IN THE GRADEBOOK?

I hope this answers your question and provides some insights.

View solution in original post

spaminabox
Surveyor II

My current biggest problem with Canvas is that the gradebook history has students listed first name first instead of last name first. I need to be able to look at a list that has grades and be able to search it by last name or by date at will. The CSV file can be downloaded, but I teach compliance courses that are always on and do not want to spend all my time downloading files just sop I can sort them myself.

In case anyone is wondering, I provided  @spaminabox  a bit of an explanation on the sorting order of the Gradebook over in this thread.