how to reorder quiz questions without reordering answer choices

Jump to solution
erica_wagner
Community Participant

I wish to randomize the order of canvas exam questions, because it might make it a bit harder for students to compare notes about questions, right?

The problem is, when I select this option, it appears the order of the answer choices (for multiple choice) are now also randomized. I don't want this, because for some questions the choices are "both of the above" or "none of the above" or something like that.

How can I fix this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

There are two quizzing engines in Canvas. The settings depend on which one you're using. The first thing to realize is that questions are different than answers. Shuffling questions allows the order of the questions to vary. Shuffling answers randomizes the order of the responses within a question.

For Classic Quizzes, the way to randomize the questions is to use a question group. The way to randomize answers within a question is through the quiz options to shuffle answers. There is no option to randomize questions, it must be done through question groups. If you're using classic quizzes and think you checked a box to shuffle, you were really checking the box to shuffle the answers. If you want to use all of the above or none of the above type answers, then you must not check shuffle answers. That makes it easier to cheat, so I advocate rewording the questions when possible. The shuffle answers is an all-or-nothing proposition, you cannot shuffle the order of the responses for individual questions but not others.

For New Quizzes, there are separate options to shuffle questions and shuffle answers. When editing the quiz, go to the Settings tab to select these. Even if you choose to shuffle the answers for the quiz, for multiple choice questions, you can choose certain questions to not shuffle and you shuffle but lock certain answers into a position. See this lesson in the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information: How do I create a Multiple Choice question in New Quizzes? 

View solution in original post