how to start a new group in canvas

start a group in canvas

Tags (4)
4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @wac16 ...

I'm not sure if you are an instructor or a student, but I will provide you with links for each role:

Groups for Instructors (written Guides)

Groups for Students (written Guides)

I hope these links will be helpful to you, Wendy.  Please let us know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

wac16
Community Member

Not helpful. I’m faculty wanting to create a group for other faculty (in our program) to share resources info on courses.

Wendy A. Coduti, Ph.D., CRC

Assistant Professor

Counselor Education and Rehabilitation and Human Services

Department of Educational Psychology, Counseling and Special Education

Penn State University

311 Cedar Building

Office: 814.863.2416

Email: wac16@psu.edu<mailto:wac16@psu.edu>

[/Users/wac16/Desktop/LGBTQ_SafeZone_emailSignature[1].jpg]

Interested in a Study Abroad in Ireland? Visit our website to learn more about our "Culture and Disability" program: http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10787

Interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree in Rehabilitation and Human Services? Visit our website at: http://www.ed.psu.edu/educ/cecprs/rehabilitation-services

Interested in pursuing the graduate program in rehabilitation counseling? Visit our website at: http://www.ed.psu.edu/educ/cecprs/counselor-education/masters-program-1/rehabilitation-counseling-1

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@wac16 , here's wishing you a slightly belated Welcome to the Canvas Community! Now that you've specified your role and have added a more detailed description of the intended use case behind the original question, I have no doubt that our awesome members will be able to provide various solutions that have worked well at their respective institutions—and with that in mind, I've changed the format of the post from a question to an open-ended discussion in that no one solution is likely to emerge as singularly correct.

@chofer ‌ has written a blog post about using account-level groups (which are quite different from the course-level groups he described) for campus activities; although the blog pertains to clubs and other school organizations, this approach might be adaptable to your purposes: Campus Clubs and Groups  If you don't have admin privileges in the account, you'll need to reach out to your school's Canvas admin to get this set this up.

I'm looking forward to seeing other ideas roll in.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @wac16  

What we do at our school for our teachers is create for them a Canvas Classroom, then enroll them all as teachers in that classroom. This provides the full array of Canvas tools, and much more flexibility for collaboration and sharing.  Your Canvas Admin/Support Department can help you get that rolling.

I believe you can get help at lmssupport@psu.edu

Happy holidays,

Kelley