cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

iframe issues (reverts to 300x150)

UPDATE (Sep 21, 2017): Thanks to annmarie.johnson@pearson.com for the solution:

"I have found a work around! If you use style="width: 600px; height: 400px;"  it doesn't get stripped out! (as opposed to height="480" width="800")"

ORIGINAL POST: We've had several instances note by multiple instructors of iFrames resizing themselves to 300x150, despite being embedded at larger sizes.

Is this local to us, or are others seeing it as well?

19 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, I'm noticing this as well.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I have noticed that too!  Glad to see I'm not the only one I thought I was doing something wrong.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

john.martin@wisc.edu,

Seems there is another post with this same question and stefaniesanders‌ suggested we review the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11158-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-06-03?sr=search&... conversation for a workaround.

According to annmarie.johnson@pearson.com‌ this is what we need to do:

237411_2017-06-07_0710.png

Highlighted

Thank you ysmallsannmarie.johnson@pearson.com, and stefaniesanders! THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE COMMUNITY!!! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Using an inline style to override whatever style Canvas is imposing on iframes is a great idea. 

Sadly for us, we have a LOT of embedded Kaltura audio only players in a placement exam Quiz bank. Now we have to go back and edit each one to fix this bug. I'm so grateful for this community for finding a fix, but disappointed that Canvas is causing us extra work with this "feature."

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for the heads-up here. I hope I do not have to go back and redo a lot of pages because of this... I'm kind of scared to go look now. OUCH.

Highlighted

laurakgibbs, my strategy is to just bury my head for a release cycle and hope they fix it before I have to make any changes....

Highlighted

Me too! I love summer (i.e.not teaching in summer), although I've sure put up a lot of demo pages with iframe content... 🙂

Highlighted
Surveyor

If you are willing to add some additional code, you can actually use CSS to bypass the HTML coding that is rendering the iframe in the specific aspect ratio. I shared a blog post on this, where I talk about Embedding a YouTube Player with Responsive Aspect Ratio‌ that will scale appropriately based on the size of the screen. I just added an iframe into one of my courses yesterday using this, and it retained the size that I had specified.

I hope that this helps.