imported discussion assignments

Jump to solution
stephanie_marqu
Community Novice

One, Canvas is so annoyingly unintuitive with not enough error messages or guidance in the menus.

Two, I imported a class and all my assignments are marked "imported assignments" so it does not let me move the discussion to 'discussions'.

Second, it imported and sent out last semester's assignment to all the students without notifying me.

Third, it doesn't tell me that if I delete an assignment in the module it isn't deleted in that cache marked 'assignments'.

Fourth, the one I imported had a discussion in groups which it will not let me change or create the group settings.

Canvas needs lots of help to be truly a useful tool.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@stephanie_marqu ...

I may be able to help address a couple of your concerns:

Two, I imported a class and all my assignments are marked "imported assignments" so it does not let me move the discussion to 'discussions'.

For your graded discussion topics you are seeing listed in your "Imported Assignments" assignment group (on the "Assignments" page), are you trying to physically drag and drop these graded discussion topics to the "Discussions" course navigation button on the left side of your screen?  Or, are you trying to drag and drop them to a separate "Discussions" assignment group that you've created on your "Assignments" page?

Third, it doesn't tell me that if I delete an assignment in the module it isn't deleted in that cache marked 'assignments'.

This is all about the terminology used in Canvas.  When you are on your "Modules" page, this is the page where you can build out the content for your course and organize it in any way you want...adding such things as the modules themselves and then content items within them...such as content "Pages", discussion topics, quizzes, and assignments.  When you take a look at the information in this Guide, How do I remove module items?, you'll notice that the action to manipulate content in a given module is "Remove" ... not "Delete".  Removing content from the "Modules" screen only removes it from this screen.  It's still available to you in your "Pages", "Discussions", "Quizzes", or "Assignments" pages ... depending on what you removed.  However, if you go to your "Pages", "Discussions", "Quizzes", or "Assignments" pages, the option there is to "Delete" the content...completely deleting it from your course.

However, if you delete an item from any of the four areas described in the above Guides, then that item will also be deleted from the "Modules" page, too.

Fourth, the one I imported had a discussion in groups which it will not let me change or create the group settings.

Group settings for your course can be found within your "People" page of your course.  Guides for Groups can be found using this link.

I hope this information will be of help to you, Stephanie.  Sing out if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes