cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melola
Community Member

imscc: content pages are always imported as Attachment type

Jump to solution

When I import a "Common Cartridge 1.x Package" into a Canvas course, all the html pages are imported as "attachment" instead of "Page" or "WikiPage". For example, with a simple imscc test package:

203773_pastedImage_0.png

I need import the "content page" correctly, for example as the following course where I have created manually the page:

203801_pastedImage_6.png

If I am not confused, the type associated with a html page is "webcontent".

I have imported several imscc example course (availables in others web sites), and the result is the same. All the content pages are imported with the type "attachment" instead of "wiki page".

With Moodle this problem does not exist. The same imscc package is imported correctly, with pages:

203803_pastedImage_9.png

Do we need some additional config file or anything else in the imscc package?

I know that a Canvas course exported package has some course_settings files, and in the file "module_meta.xml", the content_type for "Content Pages" is "WikiPage": For example:

<item identifier="ic79b227da9d86ae9ff02af41d47302d4">

<content_type>WikiPage</content_type>

<workflow_state>unpublished</workflow_state>

<title>math</title>

<identifierref>i32bee8110dfd0033ff309043f429c957</identifierref>

<position>2</position>

<new_tab/>

<indent>2</indent>

</item>

<item identifier="i40954f1c731fb4d54a8fa358f3088c26">

<content_type>Attachment</content_type>

<workflow_state>active</workflow_state>

<title>como_estudiar2</title>

<identifierref>iedd26a07517a00dae87adef063f4d2e3</identifierref>

<position>3</position>

<new_tab/>

<indent>2</indent>

</item>

The imscc package has to have a specific Canvas structure?

The imsmanifest.xml  of my imscc test package is:

203802_pastedImage_7.png

Thanks in advance.

Mari Luz

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
melola
Community Member

Hello,

I have resolved this issue adding to the IMSCC package some additional information required for Canvas:

- folder course_settings (module_meta.xml).

- folder siki_content

- folder non_cc_assessments

I have converted the imscc standard package to canvas export course (imscc).

With this new structure, the html pages have been imported as "wiki page" instead of "attachments".

I could not find the answer as to why a standard IMSCC package can not be imported correctly.

This issue can be closed.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @melola ​...

I'm sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered for more than a month.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  However, I am going to share your question with the Canvas Developers​ and Canvas Admins​ groups here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not following either of these groups, you can use the links I've provided and then click on the "Follow" link at the top right corner of each of those pages.  I hope this will be helpful to you, Mari!  Good luck.

tdelillo
Community Member

@melola ​ - I had seen this question before and thought it was over my head. But I just noticed something. You say you are importing a "Common Cartridge 1.x Package", but you mention that these are .imscc files. I don't know where your test files are coming from, but have you tried choosing "Canvas Course Export Package" from the Import Content menu, instead of Common Cartridge? Seems like it would be worth a try, since Canvas exports also save with a .imscc extension.

melola
Community Member

I am importing a "Common Cartridge 1.x Package" because a have a .imscc package generated with a "Xtent LCMS" (Learning | Seinet - Smart Content Management ).

This .imscc package is according the IMSCC specifications and in Moodle LMS the HTML pages are imported as "pages" correctly, but in Canvas the HTML pages are imported as "attachment", so in Canvas you can not edit the HTML pages of the course as native page because are attachment.

The way, that I have found, to import correctly a .imscc package in Canvas is creating the .imscc package according the "Canvas Course Package". This package has extension .imscc, but have inside some additional folders and configuration files (as course_settings, module_meta.xml etc...).

I would like to know if the only way to import a imscc package in Canvas correctly is creating it according de Canvas specification that is not exactly the same as the imscc specification (IMSGlobal).

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @melola ​, it's been a while since we last heard from you. Were you ultimately able to resolve this, and if so, would you take a moment to update the thread? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. Thanks!

melola
Community Member

Hello,

I have resolved this issue adding to the IMSCC package some additional information required for Canvas:

- folder course_settings (module_meta.xml).

- folder siki_content

- folder non_cc_assessments

I have converted the imscc standard package to canvas export course (imscc).

With this new structure, the html pages have been imported as "wiki page" instead of "attachments".

I could not find the answer as to why a standard IMSCC package can not be imported correctly.

This issue can be closed.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

@melola ​, thank you for taking the time to update the conversation with your resolution!