in setting online tests on Canvas, how do I create question groups within existing question groups

Jump to solution
vgsridharan
Community Novice

I wish to set up an online test wherein I intend to have 10 groups of questions.  Within each group, I will have 8 to 10 sub-questions.  While I would like the system to randomly pick up four to five groups, I want to ensure that each group that it picks up comprises all the sub-questions coming up one after the other as the students keep submitting their answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Steven_S
Community Champion

If I understand correctly, you want to have assignment groups that each include questions covering all topics necessary on the quiz, and then have canvas pick several groups so that students have unique quizzes that all have several questions about each topic. 

That's sort of the opposite of how I understand assignment groups to work.  If you instead group all of the questions that have the same topic and difficulty, you can assign the quiz to randomly pick one or two questions from each group.  You will have the same result, except that there will be no requirement for students who receive one question about the first topic to also receive other specific questions about the remaining topics. 

If you need to know that specific questions are asked as a part of the same quiz, you might need multiple quizzes to be set up with different groups of questions, so that you have a collection of quiz combinations.  Then assign each quiz to only a random group of students. (You can name the quizzes with an extra space at various positions in the title so that students do not notice the different titles in conversation. )  Or you can assign every quiz to everyone, put them all in the same assignment group, and set it to drop all but one score.  (In which case, name the quizzes in a way that lets students track which version they are taking.)  Either way I know this is not ideal, and so you might want to start an idea conversation about adding what you need to new quizzes.  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/idb-p/ideas

View solution in original post