cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bes001
Community Member

jpg Upload Error Message

Jump to solution

Hello I'm new to canvas and am trying to upload the first assignment. It's to jpg images. They are taken with an iPhone, airdropped to an iMac.  Every time I try to upload there is an error message saying the file type can't be accepted and the accepted types which includes jpeg.  As far as I can tell from what I have googled, jpg and jpeg are the same thing.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Imogen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Imogen,

.jpg and .jpeg are the same image format.  

However, when the instructor sets a restriction on the file type for the assignment submission, they are actually specifying the extension on the end of the file name.  So, if they only specified ".jpeg" as the allowed type when setting up the assignment, you will get the error message if you try to upload a file with the ".jpg" extension rather than ".jpeg", or vice versa.

You will want to either rename the file, or ask your instructor to set the assignment to allow both ".jpg" and ".jpeg" extensions.

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Imogen,

.jpg and .jpeg are the same image format.  

However, when the instructor sets a restriction on the file type for the assignment submission, they are actually specifying the extension on the end of the file name.  So, if they only specified ".jpeg" as the allowed type when setting up the assignment, you will get the error message if you try to upload a file with the ".jpg" extension rather than ".jpeg", or vice versa.

You will want to either rename the file, or ask your instructor to set the assignment to allow both ".jpg" and ".jpeg" extensions.

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I am an instructor.  I have no restriction on the format.  Some .jpg work.  Others do not.  Any idea why?

I am using a Windows 10 machine.

bes001
Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I emailed the school and they have now added jpg to the list so I have been able to upload my documents Smiley Happy