cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

prevent student from taking a quiz

I gave a quiz for which all students began with 2 attempts.  The exercise was a difficult one and I want to give everyone who completed it another attempt.  However, I have students I would like to block from redoing the assignments because they either a) made no submission (so they have 2 attempts left) or b) submitted the quiz but did not answer any of the questions (most have 1 attempt left).  How do I prevent them from redoing the quiz.  If I re-open it, they still have attempts left and I see no way to remove attempts in the Moderate This Quiz area.  Must I go into quiz setting and manually assign the quiz only to the students I want to be able to access it?  This is cumbersome as it means I have to add the vast majority by hand.  I'm looking for a way to easily block the few who made no effort to begin with.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

akhuebel@svsu.edu, if you close the quiz (using the until date), but then go into Moderate for the quiz you can give individual students an extra quiz attempt and "Manually unlock the quiz for the next attempt." Using these settings only the students that you give the extra attempt should be able to access and take the quiz. See this guide for more information - Once I publish a quiz, how do I use the Moderate Quiz page? 

Another way to do this is to go to the "assign to" area of the quiz (by the dates) and leave everyone, but add an "assign to" for just the students who you don't want to retake the quiz. You can then close the quiz to these students, so set the until date to a time in the past so they can't access the quiz any longer. The other students will still have access to the quiz and any extra attempts you give them. See this guide for more information - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10038-4152101240 (even though it says assign to an individual, you can use it to close the quiz to as many individual students as you want)

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Surveyor

I did look at the area to moderate the quiz.  The problem there was that the students I wanted to block still had attempts left (because they hadn't used any of them).  I think your second solution will work for me though.  Thanks.

Highlighted

For the first method if you use it in addition to closing the quiz using the "until" date then the students with the attempts left won't be able to access the quiz. Those who have been given extra attempts by you would still be able to access the quiz.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi akhuebel@svsu.edu...

I thought that I would check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since kona@richland.edu‌' last reply on September 18th @ 2:39 p.m.  It looks as though you may have tried Kona's first suggestion in your course.  Did that solution work for your needs?  If so, please feel free to mark Kona's response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you out.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments below related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Anne.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels