cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_craik
Learner II

previous community achievements, badges etc all disappeared

Jump to solution

Confession: I haven't been on the community for a while. I knew the UI had changed... but I seem to have lost all the recognition in terms of badges and 'level' that I had built over the last few years. 

It took ages to level up to "teacher" status (i think that's what it was called)... now I am a "surveyor"? What's the rub?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @a_craik ...

It is my understanding that when the migration from the Jive platform to the Khoros platform (the software engines that run the Community site) happened back in August 2020, all users were reset to the same level.  Since the two platforms were different, that also meant that not everything transferred over...including achievements, badges, etc.

I was informed today that a couple folks from the Documentation Team put together a blog posting, and it was just published to the Community.  Instructure Community Rankings - Canvas Community

I hope that will be of some help to you.  If you have more questions about that blog posting, feel free to post your comment there, and I'm sure someone will respond.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @a_craik ...

It is my understanding that when the migration from the Jive platform to the Khoros platform (the software engines that run the Community site) happened back in August 2020, all users were reset to the same level.  Since the two platforms were different, that also meant that not everything transferred over...including achievements, badges, etc.

I was informed today that a couple folks from the Documentation Team put together a blog posting, and it was just published to the Community.  Instructure Community Rankings - Canvas Community

I hope that will be of some help to you.  If you have more questions about that blog posting, feel free to post your comment there, and I'm sure someone will respond.

View solution in original post

Wow, if your information is correct Chofer, that's bombshell data. I have asked the question elsewhere on this site. Why did Instructure move the community? Was it broke? If it wasn't broke, why fix it?

It disrespects the community to reward them in that way. As competition heats up from the likes of Microsoft, Instructure should be looking at how they can reward and work with the community, not against them!

Tags (1)

Hi @de_millington ,

Just to confirm what Chris mentioned, we did migrate the community from one platform to another during 2020.  The exact cut over date was August 7th.  This was a 'lift and shift' migration, meaning that we made every effort to migrate all the user created content to the new platform and tried as best we could to make the new community home look and feel like the previous one.  Because the two platforms are different software applications, sometimes we could do that and sometimes we had to introduce change.  To answer your question, yes we had to make this shift because our old platform was being discontinued by the company that owned it.  Also, during 2020 with a global pandemic happening, the community grew by an order of magnitude and it turned out to be very fortunate that we were already in the process of moving to a more robust, enterprise level platform.  If you are curious about management of this community and want to be in the loop in the future, I would encourage you to join the community users group listed with the other interest groups in the Group Hub listings.

Cheers!

Scott Dennis, 

Sr, Director, Community

de_millington
Explorer II

@scottdennis Thanks for your reply and for the confirmation. That the original vendor has discontinued the product is most definitely a mitigating factor for Instructure.  It's a pity that Instructure left it to folks like yourself to explain things. The wiser policy might have been to disseminate that info through the CSMs. I totally get the complaint from one source who said it was a travesty to lose data that he had accreted over several years.

You are quite welcome!

Yes, getting information out to a wide cross section of people is always a big challenge.  In the six months leading up to the switch over we wrote blog posts, slack messages, emails, visited CSM team meetings, put announcements on the community home page, cross posted to social media, etc and the change still caught some people by surprise - you can never underestimate the challenge of communicating change.