Highlighted
Community Member

problem accessing Canvas

I tried to access Canvas, just now, using Internet Explorer, which I have been able to do since the start of 2019, only to be told that IE is no longer supported by Canvas. I have a Surface which does not tolerate Chrome or Firefox or any of the other recommended browsers.

How do I access Canvas?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

PAT,

It looks like you can use Microsoft Edge on the Surface system and Edge is a supported browser by Canvas:

Which browsers does Canvas support? 

The only issue is that the Surface operating system is not supported by Canvas:

What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? 

Unfortunately, there isn't anything Instructure can do to team up with Microsoft at this time to make IE a supported browser for Canvas - Microsoft has been phasing out support for IE as well.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

rogrant@nmsu.edu‌, can you tell me more about this?

the Surface operating system is not supported by Canvas

The standard operating system for a Surface is Windows 10. (It's possible PAT's Surface has something special configured, as Edge should be built-in normally on Windows 10).

From my reading of Which browsers does Canvas support?‌, "Windows 7 and newer" would encompass Windows 10. Please let me know if I'm wrong about that, in which case I'll speak to our CSM -- our institution can't afford to have Windows 10 users not considered supported.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Rob, my Surface runs Windows RT which seems to be a law into itself. 

Pat Kennedy (the PAT) is simply a misuse of the Caps Lock key. 

Highlighted
Learner II

My Surface runs Windows RT which seems to be a law into itself.

That makes sense. I had forgotten about the original Surface vs. today's Windows 10 models (Surface Pro/Laptop/Book).

Thanks, pat.kennedy@cit.ie , and rogrant@nmsu.edu‌ no further clarification needed for me. (Whew!)

Highlighted
Community Member

I can't upload Microsoft Edge on my Surface.

I was well able to access Canvas before the Summer on my Surface. 

Is this another example of an alleged "upgrade" that disables something that is actually useful? 

PK 

Highlighted
Lamplighter

pat.kennedy@cit.ie, as Robbie mentioned, not only does Canvas no longer support Internet Explorer 11 but Microsoft itself is in the process of phasing out support for IE. We have to periodically have to update Canvas so that it can take advantage of the capabilities of more modern web technology in use by a majority of users and to guard against performance and critically to address security vulnerabilities with older browsers and technology.

Highlighted
Community Member

On this occasion, I think the baby has been thrown out along with the bathwater. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Windows RT uses and ARM processor which only allows for software to be installed that is one the windows store and designed for ARM processors. RT is something I wish Windows would have never invented. So many people are pulled in by the price of Surface RT but don't realize they are so limited in what they can do. 

0 Kudos