cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

professor at multiple schools with only 1 login?

Jump to solution

I have 1 email address (gmail) teaching at different schools, is there a way to use only 1 canvas login?  

My new schools class invitation takes me to canvas.  The landing page ask if I have a canvas account which I do...but my login credentials are not accepted.

I'd love to be able to have only 1 email address and password for Canvas to manage all my classes at both campuses.

thanks,

dale

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Dale,

While possible, this is going to depend on how each school has their Canvas instance set up and specifically how they populate user information. Many schools have an automated process that creates users based on the information they have in their systems and so everything is tied to a user's official school-provided email address or login information.

It is possible for a Canvas admin at an institution to add additional login methods for users, but it's not guaranteed that they will approve such a request, especially if user information is created automatically. Altering user information creates more complexity in an already complex system and could be considered a security risk. I'm the Canvas admin at my institution and this is not an alteration I'd be willing to make because of the potential issues and difficulties it might cause, and I'd be willing to bet our IT department would feel the same.

Your best bet in figuring out if this is possible is to contact the departments or individuals in your institutions that manage Canvas to see if they are willing to do this for you. Keep in mind though that even if you have the same login information at both institutions, they will still be on separate instances of Canvas so you won't be able to see all of your courses in one place.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Dale,

While possible, this is going to depend on how each school has their Canvas instance set up and specifically how they populate user information. Many schools have an automated process that creates users based on the information they have in their systems and so everything is tied to a user's official school-provided email address or login information.

It is possible for a Canvas admin at an institution to add additional login methods for users, but it's not guaranteed that they will approve such a request, especially if user information is created automatically. Altering user information creates more complexity in an already complex system and could be considered a security risk. I'm the Canvas admin at my institution and this is not an alteration I'd be willing to make because of the potential issues and difficulties it might cause, and I'd be willing to bet our IT department would feel the same.

Your best bet in figuring out if this is possible is to contact the departments or individuals in your institutions that manage Canvas to see if they are willing to do this for you. Keep in mind though that even if you have the same login information at both institutions, they will still be on separate instances of Canvas so you won't be able to see all of your courses in one place.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Andrew!

R. Dale Stephens Jr

with Faith, Hope, & Love

dalestephens@gmail.com

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 5:39 PM ataylor30@cvtc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels