cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstrod
Surveyor

"Act as User" option is missing in an admin sub account

Jump to solution

Our university is new to Canvas, so this is one of our first attempts at creating sub accounts. The option to “Act as User” is not displaying on my Mac or my iPad. I’ve tried various browsers, but the option doesn’t appear. I’ve attached a screenshot (names blacked out) of an account within the sub account. The “Act as User” option should display there.  Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.33.45 AM.png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bneporadny
Navigator

Hi cstrod,

The issue is user accounts are created at the top level and because you only have admin access at a sub-account level you're not able to act as any user. We had this same issue and came up with a work around that may work for you as well.  

What we did is create a new Account role at the top level called Masquerade and gave it only permission to "User - act as" and enrolled any sub-account admin into it. By doing this they were able to see the Act As option. I believe this work around will work for you as well, but you will need to get your top level local Canvas Admin involved to create the new role and enroll you and others into it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bneporadny
Navigator

Hi cstrod,

The issue is user accounts are created at the top level and because you only have admin access at a sub-account level you're not able to act as any user. We had this same issue and came up with a work around that may work for you as well.  

What we did is create a new Account role at the top level called Masquerade and gave it only permission to "User - act as" and enrolled any sub-account admin into it. By doing this they were able to see the Act As option. I believe this work around will work for you as well, but you will need to get your top level local Canvas Admin involved to create the new role and enroll you and others into it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos