cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theseriesproduc
Surveyor

"Announcements" & "Observers"

Jump to solution

Do parent "observers" who are linked to their students get notified via email of any "announcements? "

If they do (or can), is receiving notification the default or does each parent need to opt in?

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @theseriesproduc ‌ - All Observers receive a copy of every course announcement. However, each user needs to adjust their Canvas notification preferences. Depending on their selections, Observers can receive an email, a push notification with the Canvas Parent app, or a text message.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @theseriesproduc ‌ - All Observers receive a copy of every course announcement. However, each user needs to adjust their Canvas notification preferences. Depending on their selections, Observers can receive an email, a push notification with the Canvas Parent app, or a text message.

View solution in original post

Understood.  My question was:  Is notification via email the default or do they, as very new users, need to adjust their settings to opt-in to email notifications?  Thanks!

It looks like the answer is Yes, by default, the Observer will receive an email duplicate of the course Announcement.

Here's what I discovered when I created a new Observer account and linked it to a student.

313024_pastedImage_2.png

If an instructor is posting an announcement for only one section of a course (with multiple sections) do the observers see all announcements or only the ones posted for the section their student is enrolled in? Thanks!