cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

"Drop Lowest" Dropping Ungraded Essay Quizzes

Jump to solution

Bug or "feature"? -- "Drop lowest" drops quizzes that can't be automatically graded, for example, quizzes with essay questions. See here:

Instructor_Side_Grades.png

Student_Side_Grades.png

100% Quiz Score (T/F) = a quiz where the student scored 2/2 points

50% Quiz Score (T/F) = a quiz where the student scored 1/2 points

Ungraded Essays = a quiz with two ungraded essay questions

Before the test student took the essay quiz the 50% Quiz Score (T/F) was dropped. After taking Ungraded Essays it was dropped immediately instead of 50% Quiz Score (T/F), even though it hasn't been assigned a grade yet.

So, thoughts? Bug report or Feature Idea?

---

I'm going to call Brian's response to this the correct answer. It at least explains the behavior technically, even if it doesn't make sense practically. That being the case, I've opened a Feature Idea:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

emihunt@iu.eduI'm curious, does it properly drop the 50% quiz after the ungraded essay questions are graded to (assuming) 100%? I recall faculty at our school reporting that ungraded essay questions were calculated as zeros in the student's overall score until they were actually graded; so it makes sense that Canvas would drop the essay quiz. What happens if you mute the ungraded quiz?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

emihunt@iu.eduI'm curious, does it properly drop the 50% quiz after the ungraded essay questions are graded to (assuming) 100%? I recall faculty at our school reporting that ungraded essay questions were calculated as zeros in the student's overall score until they were actually graded; so it makes sense that Canvas would drop the essay quiz. What happens if you mute the ungraded quiz?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

It does properly drop the 50% score instead if I give Ungraded Essays a 100% score:

Graded_Essays.png

When dropping lowest & muted:

Grade_incl_Totals.png

When dropping lowest & unmuted:

Drop_Low_Unmute.png

When not dropping lowest & unmuted:

NotDropped_incl_Totals.png

When graded, muted, & dropping lowest:

Muted_Drop.png

It does look like the 'drop lowest' functionality is treating ungraded essays as zeroes which, unfortunately, is making students think that the must've gotten a low score on their quizzes. I'd think 'drop lowest' should be ignoring those?

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels