cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arild_schanke
Surveyor II

"Group only" Assignment

Is it possible to force an assignment to accept hand-ins from groups only?

In some of our courses, individual hand-ins are not an option. The students should add themselves to a group, before handing in an assignment. However, I'm unable to enforce this rule, and regardless of me emphasizing this, some students go about handing in individually anyway.

Is there a way to force an assignment to not accept individual hand-ins?

A workaround would obviously be to make sure that all students are members of a group, before allowing for submission or even creating the assignment, but I would really like to avoid this kind of administration.

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@arild_schanke , sorry that your question has been sitting here for so long unanswered! As far as I’m aware, no, you can’t require a student be in a group before submitting an assignment. I think your idea of putting students in groups before opening the assignment for submissions is probably the easiest solution even though it is “administrative.”

Have you happened to find a different work around for this?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @arild_schanke ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 20, 2018.  It looks like  @kona ‌ was able to provide you with some feedback on March 27, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to review her reply?  Did it help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions related to your original question?  If you feel that Kona has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark her response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this thread to post a message below letting us know how we might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in quite some time and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for in over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Arild.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

No, this is still an issue. When you choose for an assignment to be a "group assignment" I think it's logical that you cannot hand in assignments individually. However, you can - and there should be some mechanism to prevent this. I guess this is a potential feature request?