cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pceccarini
Community Member

"Mark as Done" button functionality

Jump to solution

I'm trying to use the "Mark as Done" button on some of my course pages, but it doesn't always appear on the pages as expected. I was told that "in order for the button to be visible, it will need to be accessed through the modules page." That doesn't make much sense to me given that the button lives on a given page, and students can access that page multiple ways: e.g., by clicking on the Next/Previous button, or links within a page, etc.

Does anybody have experience with this functionality and/or can clarify?

Thanks!

Paola

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@milesl ​ and  @pceccarini , you two should get together and write that up as a Canvas Feature Idea​--I'd vote it up! Paola, do you think at this point any answer stands out as sufficiently correct that you can click the "Mark Correct" button for it?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@pceccarini ​, are you a student trying to use this feature, or a teacher or instructional designer trying to set it up? If you're a teacher or ID, you should know that only pages and assignments can be set with the "Mark as Done" requirement, as set forth in How do I add requirements to a Module?  --and assignments have other completion requirements associated with them, namely "View the item," "Submit the assignment," and "Score at least...X." (The student counterpart to this guide is How do I view Modules as a student? ). So if you're a student, and you're not seeing "Mark as Done" on every page or assignment, it's because your teacher didn't design the course that way. And if you're a teacher, please know that if a module item is not a page or assignment, you will need to set a different completion requirement for it.

I just set up a few assignments and pages with "Mark as done" requirements; although I couldn't see the "Mark as done" buttons in those pages in teacher view, when I navigated to Student View they immediately appeared. So as a teacher, you will only be able to see those requirements in your Modules view.

I'm trying to answer this question from both perspectives, so please feel free to post follow-up questions that will help you clarify this functionality.

Last, if you're in fact a teacher or ID setting up the items in the course exactly as described in the guide, and when you switch over to Student View you're not seeing a Mark as Done button where you're sure there should be one, this might be buggy behavior.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

One other thing,  @pceccarini : You stated, "That doesn't make much sense to me given that the button lives on a given page, and students can access that page multiple ways: e.g., by clicking on the Next/Previous button, or links within a page, etc." But the reason the "Mark as Done" button doesn't "live" on the page in the design side of the course is that it doesn't actually live on the page; it's a function of the module design. Keep in mind that you have the ability to put the same page in multiple module. Say you have a specific page of instructions that you want to include in every module so students have it immediately handy as a reference point, but you don't want students to have to click the "Mark as Done" button every time--only the first time (or maybe first and second time, if you choose to set it up that way) they encounter that page. If the functionality lived on the page, students would have to click on it the button every time before they could advance, even if they had already gotten the information they needed from it. For that reason, the "Mark as Done" requirement is incorporated in the module, and by design, cannot be set on the page.

Stefanie,

Thank you for your clarification. I am an ID, and this is the first time

I'm trying to use this feature. I have set it up correctly, on pages, and

I'm able to see the button in student view but only if I go to the

particular page from the modules page rather than, say, by clicking the

Next button from the previous page; and that's the behavior that puzzles me

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

@pceccarini , thanks for that clarification, and that is puzzling. I'm not able to replicate that issue; both in my testing yesterday and again this morning, using Student View, when I navigated through the various items by clicking on the Next button, I was able to see the Mark as Done button on the pages and assignments for which I had set that completion requirement. It might be a browser issue, but nevertheless, I suggest that you open a support case, ideally by submitting the help ticket from the first page to which you navigate where you should be seeing the Mark as Done button but are not. If you have a moment, please circle back to this conversation and post the case number so that anyone else experiencing the same issue can reference it.

Thanks, stefaniesanders​. Your comment about why the Mark as Done feature appears in some contexts and not others is very helpful. The possibility that a page could belong to multiple modules did not occur to me.

To clarify, in  @pceccarini 's case, the Mark as Done button was appearing when the URL ends with a module item ID (eg. /url?module_item_id=8726207). This ID is automatically appended when navigating to a page from the modules, or when using the forward/backward buttons. It is not appended when using the link adder in the rich content editor on a content page.

It's worth noting that the forward/backward navigation buttons function similarly, but they have a cool trick. If you add the same content page to two different modules, and navigate to the URL of that page (without the module item ID) the forward/backward buttons do not appear, because Canvas can't definitively say what page comes next, since the page appears in multiple places.

However, if a content page only belongs to one module, the forward backward buttons appear whether or not you navigate to that page with the module item ID.

If Canvas is smart enough to detect that there is only one context for a content page and show/hide the forward/backward nav buttons appropriately, it would be great if it could do the same for the Mark as Done functionality.

@milesl ​ and  @pceccarini , you two should get together and write that up as a Canvas Feature Idea​--I'd vote it up! Paola, do you think at this point any answer stands out as sufficiently correct that you can click the "Mark Correct" button for it?

View solution in original post

tdelillo
Community Member

This functionality appears to be addressed in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-07-16)

In the Fixed Bugs section, it states:

Modules

Mark as Done Requirement

Any module items that require a page to be marked as done display the Mark as Done button.

Explanation: When an instructor created and published a page as part of a module with the requirement to mark the page as done, if a student viewed the page through Pages, the Mark as Done button would not appear though the module progression arrows were not affected. Canvas code has been updated to retain the page module item ID parameter and always retain the Mark as Done button.

kmaxon
Community Member

I have read through this whole thread and am still having problems. I have a Page-type item, that I have added a requirement to be Mark as Read, but when I go in as a student, I do not get the radio button at the top to actually mark it as read. I tried unpublishing and republishing the page in case that would 'catch' the requirement, but it did not help.

It is working for Assignment-type items, but not for Page-type items. Is there a secret to setting this for Pages that I don't know? Thank you for any help!

tdelillo
Community Member

No secret settings that I know of, and I just tested this again successfully (to make sure nothing reverted to an earlier bug). Does this happen consistently? Across browsers? If the Mark as Done button is just flat-out missing even though your module requirement says it should be there, I would definitely contact Canvas Support, for troubleshooting your particular case.