cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cd8757
Community Member

"Not authorized" to open papers uploaded to discussion thread

I would like students to be able to upload their papers to a discussion thread and to have other students be able to read and download those papers. One student uploaded a link, but when I (the teacher) or students try to open the document we get a "you are not authorized" message.

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cd8757  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  For clarification, have you checked the option in your course "Settings" to allow students to attach files to discussion topics?  You can find out more about this by looking at the "View More Options" section in the following Guides: How do I set details for a course? and How do I allow students to attach files to a course discussion?.  I hope this helps, Christopher.

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cd8757 .  I have a quick question as well.  Is the link that the student included to something like Google Drive, One Drive, DropBox, etc.?  I ran into something similar to this before when teaching a class and a student submitted a link to a paper, but hadn't indicated in the program that anyone with the link should be allowed to view the document.  I got a similar type of message as you described because as far as the hosting service was concerned, I didn't have authorization to view the document.  

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @cd8757 ...

I've been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on December 12, 2017.  Have you had a chance to review the feedback that you've received from me and ericwerth?  We have some additional questions for you that need answering so that we can better assist you.  Or, if you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark one of the replies as "Correct".  But, by all means, please come back to this thread to provide an update so that someone might be able to assist you.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Christopher.