cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

test file removal

Jump to solution

Once students have submitted files for a test, is there anyway to make those files unavailable to students?  I can't unpublish tests because they have files attached, but I don't want students to be able to download the files or look at them or share with others.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

nhoyt, the only way you could do this is to either:

• Uncheck the box to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" - this would leave the student's grades for the quiz in the gradebook, but they couldn't see the file they submitted or any of the other quiz questions/answers. To do this you'd go to your settings for a quiz and then uncheck the box next to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" and then save the quiz. For more information on quiz settings and how they function, see the following document - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security
  • "Mute" the quiz. This would block the grade from the student's and also prevent them from accessing the quiz, quiz questions, and uploaded file. Normally you would only use mute while you are grading an assignment (and don't want students to see things during this time). To mute the quiz see the following guides - How do I mute or unmute an Assignment in SpeedGrader? & How do I mute an assignment in the Gradebook?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

nhoyt, the only way you could do this is to either:

• Uncheck the box to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" - this would leave the student's grades for the quiz in the gradebook, but they couldn't see the file they submitted or any of the other quiz questions/answers. To do this you'd go to your settings for a quiz and then uncheck the box next to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" and then save the quiz. For more information on quiz settings and how they function, see the following document - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security
  • "Mute" the quiz. This would block the grade from the student's and also prevent them from accessing the quiz, quiz questions, and uploaded file. Normally you would only use mute while you are grading an assignment (and don't want students to see things during this time). To mute the quiz see the following guides - How do I mute or unmute an Assignment in SpeedGrader? & How do I mute an assignment in the Gradebook?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Because the test is in an assignment group and students are submitted excel

and powerpoint files which are graded I can't change the option as you can

in quizzes, As long as the grade stays in their overall grade I will try

the mute assignment option so they can no longer see their files. My

concern is if they still have access to their test files when they look at

the assignment they can share them with others. I have changed the

available date so it turns off 24 hours after the test. My only concern is

students who had to take the test late because they were gone for a school

excused absence.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

nhoyt, sorry for the misunderstanding. Canvas does provide the ability to submit files through quizzes so when you said the students had submitted files for a test I assumed you meant through the quizzing tool and not through an Assignment.

In the future you might consider using a quiz with a file upload to help prevent students from sharing files after taking the test - How do I create a File Upload quiz question?

Highlighted
Community Member

thank you that is a good idea.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

Highlighted
Community Member

thanks for responding to my question.

Because the test is in an assignment group and students are submitted excel

and powerpoint files which are graded I can't change the option as you can

in quizzes, As long as the grade stays in their overall grade I will try

the mute assignment option so they can no longer see their files. My

concern is if they still have access to their test files when they look at

the assignment they can share them with others. I have changed the

available date so it turns off 24 hours after the test. My only concern is

students who had to take the test late because they were gone for a school

excused absence.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:30 AM, stefanievsanders@gmail.com <

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi, Nancy! Kona has offered some good advice, but no matter how students upload the files, they will still have access to the file they generated on their computer to submit to Canvas. The only way I can think of to prevent this is if you watch the students delete the file from the computer after they submit it to Canvas.