cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw2985
Community Member

turn off notifications for one course

Jump to solution

Can I turn off notifications for one of the courses while remain alerted for others?#notification email

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@aashbaugh  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The ability to mute notifications from a single course is coming in the next release: Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @sw2985  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Unfortunately, notifications are an "all or nothing" type of deal...meaning that your Notifications screen in your Canvas profile applies to all courses...not just select courses.  (For reference: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student? and How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor?)  There is a Feature Idea here in the Community called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3663-notifications-by-course which I would encourage you to look through.  If you feel that this Feature Idea is similar to what you would like to see implemented in Canvas, please consider adding your vote and maybe also adding a comment in that thread as to why it is important to you.  The folks at Instructure do read our comments as they are developing new things for Canvas.  I know this probably isn't the answer your were looking for, but I hope it helps a bit.

If it's just to get rid of notification alerts in your email, then as a last resort work around you may create a rule in your email system that automatically moves messages with a heading containing "[course name]" to the bin.
But beware that any direct email messages from students or colleagues containing the course name will also end up in the bin.

Hi, 

This feature would be very helpful for me. Being able to change notifications by course, or at least mute a single course, would be great.

- Alan

@aashbaugh  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The ability to mute notifications from a single course is coming in the next release: Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

View solution in original post

PLEASE CANVAS ALLOW THIS!!!!

I am a math teacher and have been asked by other teachers to be added to their course so that we can share content easily, grade for each other, etc. I DON'T WANT ALL THE ASSIGNMENT COMPLETION NOTIFICATIONS FROM ALL OF THEIR COURSES... I'm going crazy... I just want to see mine 😭 but I want to be able to help them with their courses. PLEASE!

Hello @JBrickhouse ...

If you have not seen this Guide, I think it will help to answer your question: How do I manage notifications for a single course as an instructor?.  This relatively new feature was mentioned earlier in this question by @Stefanie when she referenced Canvas Release Notes.

I hope this will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thank you.

leo_devin
Surveyor

I was also looking for the possibility to switch notifications on or off for individual courses.

My situation is such that I give some lectures in courses not run by me, and I now receive loads of notifications from these courses.

A potential work-around would be to accept the invitation to join a course just 1-2 weeks before my lecture/seminar and then leave the course after my lecture/seminar. However, so far I've not seen a way to "leave" (remove myself) from a course.

In conclusion, the possibility to "override" general settings for individual courses would be a most desirable feature.