cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vartouhi_asheri
Community Member

weighted extra credit issue

Jump to solution

How to create an extra credit that is worth 3% where the instructor already has weighted categories of 

Mini-Quizzes

%

Audio Discussions

%

Unit Tests

%

Homework - Supersite + Practice

%

Oral Participation - Live Sessions

%

Midterm Exam

%

Oral Presentation

%

Final Exam

%

Extra Credit

%

Total103%

We have added in the extra credit category the assignment with 0 points to add but the calculations are not coming up right even when I add an assignment (per the documentation) for 1 point ... 

How can we make it so that once the assignments in the extra credit are added up a 3% is added to the total... 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
james10
Learner II

Hi vartouhi.asherian‌,

I may not fully understand your question, but I think you need to add in the extra credit points after all other course points have been awarded. If a student can earn up to 3% extra credit, you would add an assignment group ("Extra Credit") worth 0% of the course grade. At the end of the course, once everything else is graded, you change the group weight to 3%.

The way I use extra credit, students don't have to turn anything in, so when I create the assignment in "extra credit," I make it worth 10 points, for easy math, and give students the number of points that correspond to the percentage of extra credit that they have earned. For example, a student who did half the extra credit work would get 5/10 points, earning (in your example) 1.5% extra credit. The trick is you have to have ALL the other grades completed before changing the group weight.

Be warned: I could be wrong about this, but this is what has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

--Teeka

View solution in original post

2 Replies
james10
Learner II

Hi vartouhi.asherian‌,

I may not fully understand your question, but I think you need to add in the extra credit points after all other course points have been awarded. If a student can earn up to 3% extra credit, you would add an assignment group ("Extra Credit") worth 0% of the course grade. At the end of the course, once everything else is graded, you change the group weight to 3%.

The way I use extra credit, students don't have to turn anything in, so when I create the assignment in "extra credit," I make it worth 10 points, for easy math, and give students the number of points that correspond to the percentage of extra credit that they have earned. For example, a student who did half the extra credit work would get 5/10 points, earning (in your example) 1.5% extra credit. The trick is you have to have ALL the other grades completed before changing the group weight.

Be warned: I could be wrong about this, but this is what has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

--Teeka

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

vartouhi.asherian‌, Teeka is correct! The key is to award the extra credit by changing the weighting given to the assignment group only after all of the other grades for the course have been entered. I've used this method successfully in past courses, and wrote it up in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups?sr=searc...