cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlit
Community Member

why is canvas duplicating all my course material upon import to a brand new shell?

Jump to solution

I have "sand boxes" of my classes. When I import the content into a brand new course shell it duplicates all of the material. Why is it doing this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mlit  

If you are using your sandbox as a master shell (as some folks call it), then your best bet would be to reset the sandbox before importing the content back into it. As reset essentially wipes out all existing content.

However, exercise extreme caution, since resets cannot be undone without asking the Canvas engineers to intervene.

Learn how at How do I reset course content? 

Kelley

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mlit , greetings! This sounds very frustrating, but definitely isn’t what Canvas should be doing. To be clear, you are going to the empty new shell and then going to course imports when you go to copy your content - and the content isn’t duplicated in your sandbox. If all of this is correct, then I’d contact Canvas Support to see if they can figure out what’s going on. The best way to do this is to click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Hope this helps! 

Kona

mlit
Community Member

That was it Kona...thank you. For some reason I thought that when I copy back to my sandbox it would overwrite the existing material with the updated version. If there's a way to do that I'd sure love to know since that is the idea of maintaining a sandbox!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mlit  

If you are using your sandbox as a master shell (as some folks call it), then your best bet would be to reset the sandbox before importing the content back into it. As reset essentially wipes out all existing content.

However, exercise extreme caution, since resets cannot be undone without asking the Canvas engineers to intervene.

Learn how at How do I reset course content? 

Kelley

View solution in original post

mlit
Community Member

Thanks Kelley!