why some grades are higher than 100%

Jump to solution

why some grades are higher than 100%

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rachel_hayashi , normally this is due to extra credit - intentional or unintentional. Any time you give the students more points than the assignment is worth - so for example 11 points on a 10 point assignment - you'll see that the student is getting more than 100% for that assignment. Or, if the assignment was worth 0 points and you gave the students points for the assignment - so for example 5 points for an assignment that is set as 0 points - then Canvas treats this as extra credit and the student will be potentially getting above 100%. My recommendation is to look through your gradebook and try to find the assignment where students are getting above 100% - so getting more points than the number of points the assignment was worth. OR, look for an assignment where the original point value of the assignment is zero.

Hope this helps you track down the culprit! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rachel_hayashi , normally this is due to extra credit - intentional or unintentional. Any time you give the students more points than the assignment is worth - so for example 11 points on a 10 point assignment - you'll see that the student is getting more than 100% for that assignment. Or, if the assignment was worth 0 points and you gave the students points for the assignment - so for example 5 points for an assignment that is set as 0 points - then Canvas treats this as extra credit and the student will be potentially getting above 100%. My recommendation is to look through your gradebook and try to find the assignment where students are getting above 100% - so getting more points than the number of points the assignment was worth. OR, look for an assignment where the original point value of the assignment is zero.

Hope this helps you track down the culprit! 

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rachel_hayashi ...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on October 18, 2017 and then received a reply from  @kona  later that morning.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback from Kona?  If so, did her reply help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with this question?  If you feel that Kona's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark her reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you for almost four months and because we've not had any new activity in this thread for that same amount of time.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Rachel.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.