cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer II

Can I post comments in Canvas like I do in PowerSchool?

Jump to solution

In PowerSchool, I can add specific comments to assignments.  However, those comments disappear if I push grades from Canvas to PowerSchool.  I need for comments to either stay in PowerSchool or for Canvas to have the ability to make comments and push them over as well.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Tom!

Currently, we do have the ability to add comments to the Gradebook in Canvas. However, those comments to not push over. I would suggest pushing over your grades to PS. Then, uncheck the post grades to sis box in the assignment. Then, you can add the comments to the gradebook in PowerSchool and they should remain.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Tom!

Currently, we do have the ability to add comments to the Gradebook in Canvas. However, those comments to not push over. I would suggest pushing over your grades to PS. Then, uncheck the post grades to sis box in the assignment. Then, you can add the comments to the gradebook in PowerSchool and they should remain.

View solution in original post

Community Member

Hi Tom! Just wanted to let you know that I have a similar idea up for vote right now.  Check it out! 

Surveyor

Hi hottingert,

I find it easiest to just put my comments into Canvas, using speedgrader is the fastest easiest way. Students will see in the Canvas Gradebook a little icon to show they have a comment.

Through piloting Canvas, we have found it easiest to make sure that the grade matches PS each week, and let parents and students know PS is the official grade. However we have parents and students view all feedback and communication through Canvas. As the teacher I would make sure that the PS and Canvas Grades match, and if a student or parent finds any discrepancies they need to contact the teacher (which is usually because the teacher just didn't sync yet).

To clarify, you enter all grades in Canvas and enter all comments in Canvas.  You sync with PowerSchool.  Grades go through but comments do not.  You inform parents and students to look at Canvas for all things grade related or comment related. Final grades are pulled from PowerSchool.

I think I got your workflow.