Instructure
Instructure

PowerTeacher Pro Admin Troubleshooting

IF grading categories will not import into Canvas

THEN wait 24 hours for the nightly collection to run

OR verify with your CSM whether grading categories have been collected and when

THEN send a screenshot of grading categories from PTP to your CSM for review

IF not all of a teacher's grading categories will import into Canvas

THEN (for 1:Many) verify that all sections in the course have the same number and names of grading categories (if they do not, the import will not work properly)

If course sections do not have the same grading categories, please ask the teacher to remove inconsistent grading categories or add them to all sections so that all grading categories are identical throughout. 

IF a teacher's grades are not passing properly to PowerTeacher Pro

THEN check the monitoring tool for errors

THEN check that assignments are in assignment groups imported from PTP and have the teacher try again

THEN check that assignments are enabled to sync to PTP and have the teacher try again

THEN check the settings of a course and verify that every section has a SIS ID and every section uses the PTP gradebook and have the teacher try again

THEN contact Canvas Support for assistance

For the Legacy Gradebook

IF the "Send Grades to PTP - [Client Name]" button is not present under Export on the grades page

THEN talk to your CSM about configuring the grade passback LTI

For the NEW Gradebook

IF the "Send Grades to PTP - [Client Name]" button is not present under Actions on the grades page

THEN talk to your CSM about configuring the grade passback LTI

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

Hi erinhallmark‌ and Deactivated user‌

I would like to get more information about how to troubleshoot the import of the PowerTeacher Pro grading categories. In this document, it states that if the categories will not import into Canvas, then "wait 24 hours for the nightly collection to run." 

What exactly does this mean? If a teacher imports categories and later creates a new one in PT Pro, won't he/she have to import the categories again to get the new one? I didn't think this was being done automatically at any point. So if that is the case, what exactly is happening when the "nightly collection" is run?

I'd like to have a better way of troubleshooting problems with this, much like the new "Grade Sync" option is very helpful with GPB.

Thanks,

Nancy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, Nancy, and thanks for reaching out. To clarify, a collection of grading categories runs nightly on your account. When it runs, any new, active grading categories are gathered by our SIS Platform. Once completed, teachers can press the "Import Grading Categories" button on the Assignments page to push them into Canvas. We were trying to clarify situations where a teacher immediately adds new categories in PTP and then presses "Import Grading Categories" into Canvas. In this situation, the categories are not collected yet (because the nightly job hasn't run) and so they will either need to 1) Call Canvas Support to trigger the grading category collection now or 2) wait until the next day for categories to be collected.

So to answer your question, if a teacher adds a new category in PTP, they will need to push the button again but we need to make sure categories have been collected in our SIS Platform first. Then they will be all set.

I also want to let you know about a bug we are currently investigating with deleted/inactive categories. In summary, the integration is still pulling these in currently and so we are looking at ways to delete these categories from our database so it isn't confusing for teachers (asking "why is this category showing up when I have deleted it in PTP). I hope this context helps.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Adventurer

This is very helpful, thank you, erinhallmark!  Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer

erinhallmark, I was thinking about this some more. It would seem then that even the very first time that you create categories in PowerTeacher Pro, you should wait 24 hours before hitting the Import button in Canvas.  If this is accurate, I think it would be helpful to clarify that in the documentation. What do you think?

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors