cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ataylor30
Community Contributor

Deleting Shared Videos/Captioning Workflows

We are currently coming up with a workflow to allow captioning work studies to caption instructors' videos in Arc. We ALMOST have a perfect workflow... if the instructor could just share the video with the captioner (or a shared captioning account) with edit rights, that person could go in, edit the captions, and the videos captions would auto-update wherever that video would be linked.

The hiccup in this plan is that because getting edit permissions to a video gives you the ability to FULLY delete the video, it's dangerous to give ANYONE the edit link to your content since they could delete it permanently from Arc... forever.

This is my understanding of how sharing with edit permissions works, so this question is really twofold:

1) Am I understanding how this feature works? And if so is this something worthy of an idea?

2) Does anyone have a smooth workflow to share for allowing others to caption videos for faculty?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey there, @ataylor30 ...

Long time, no chat!  Hope all is well!  I saw this posting from a few years back, so I thought I'd check in.  We actually use 3Play Media to do a lot of our captioning for videos now.  The turn-around time is pretty good.  Have you come up with any other solutions on your end since you first posted this?

0 Kudos
ataylor30
Community Contributor

Hi Chris! No, unfortunately we never really found a good solution here. At the moment the solution is "be sure to caption your videos". Does 3Play have an integration with Studio where it's all seamless, or are there some additional steps in sending them the .mp4 and getting back a .crt file?

0 Kudos
cwerner
Community Participant

Hi Andrew; right now, I'm the "point" person for 3Play captioning requests at MPTC.  I'm loading files onto their site and providing the completed .srt files to faculty via a network "shared" drive.  3Play does have an option to "link" accounts such as YouTube, Vimeo, Panopto, Mediasite. Dropbox, Box, and more.  Right now, Canvas is in "beta" for that option.  The current process works pretty well, and 3Play delivers my requests promptly.    Have a great day!