cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmallen
Community Participant

Does anyone use third-party caption providers with Arc?

We use a third-party captioning service that integrates very nicely with our lecture capture software. Basically, the workflow is:

1. Faculty create and upload their content.
  2. They either contact us to request captions or we give them permission to be a caption requester.
  3. Captions are added to the video with a 2-3 day turn around. (These are not the auto-generated ASR kind; captioning involves a human element and therefore high rate of accuracy.)

Our institution is new to Arc, I'm curious if anyone else is using a third-party captioning service with Arc and what your workflow looks like. After reading through the Arc documentation, it looks like we might need to download the video from Arc/Canvas, then upload to our third-party website, then download from the third-party website, then reupload into Arc/Canvas and delete the original. There's a lot more steps and people power involved for something we have automated in other instances. I'm hoping you wonderful folks have a better solution!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

Arc provides auto captioning and an interface to edit/proof what is created.  Guide link below...

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9664-50736657092 

kmallen
Community Participant

Yes, those are the ASR (automatic speech recognition) kind. The accuracy is lower, especially punctuation, with this type of captioning. Using a third-party service allows us to outsource; because of our staffing levels, we don't have time to edit. We're hoping to find a low-touch solution.

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

Ah.  Use 3playmedia in a pinch.

https://www.3playmedia.com/ 

costwink
Community Participant

We have a similar process at our institution.  With other products we have the captions auto-generated but then hire student workers to watch the videos and correct timing, spelling, grammar, etc. errors.

When a quick turn around is needed we send the video (through the product) to a third party vendor to caption.  We are currently piloting Studio and this topic is one we'll have to work through.  I don't know of a way to provide students with access to faculty/course videos (unless they are all shared, perhaps) and/or use a third party vendor if needed.

These would be nice enhancements as the product continues.

fabiosousa
Community Participant

In our institution we use the Studio API to auto generate the captions and create a new using a str file.

Maybe if you have the file of the subtitle from that third-party, you could use this endpoit to upload the caption, doing that you don't need to delete the original video.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @kmallen …

We also use 3PlayMedia for captioning our videos.  My co-worker, @cwerner, gave a short description of our workflow in this thread: Re: Deleting Shared Videos/Captioning Workflows - Instructure Community.