cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Arc and FERPA concerns

Does anyone have a one-page user guide discussing Arc and how its use within a Canvas course site abides by FERPA guidelines?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

That’s an interesting question. What specific things are you worried about in terms of Arc and problems with FERPA?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Kona,

I've done more digging and testing of Arc from the student view and think I've answered the questions raised by our faculty during a training session. Specifically, the faculty was concerned regarding (1) student ability to download videos that might contain confidential information such as research with children (College of Education) or patient records (College of Nursing) and (2) students being able to view the Insights tab.

I have tested and found that students cannot view the Insights tab, nor can they download Arc videos that are embedded on a page or assignment, etc. The Arc link in the course menu is only visible to instructors which was another minor concern.

Just wanted all our bases covered when we get specific questions related to research and/or confidentiality.

If you can think of anything else that relates to Arc and FERPA, please let me know. I appreciate it.

Rosie

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

rsasso@utk.edu, thanks for going through your faculty's concerns and what you've found! It is much appreciated and helpful! 

0 Kudos